cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multi-drug resistant salmonella found in pet food

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
FYI regarding recent CDC announcement of outbreak of salmonella that is "multi-drug bacteria resistant". Several people have died and they have not found the source yet.

If you are feeding raw diets to your pets, take notice of this comment by the CDC:

""The outbreak strain has been identified in samples taken from raw chicken pet food, raw chicken products, and live chickens.""

Just the fact that they have chosen to test the chicken in "pet food" AND have found the strain in pet food", should be a heads up for all pet owners.

That raw chicken that was tested positive can also be headed for kibble and canned dog food.

IMHO Something to keep an eye on as the testing continues.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

4 REPLIES 4

dturm
Not a good situation by any means. I always advise against raw diets for this reason and the perceived benefits in no way exceed the risks. Those risks are really significant for the owners of dogs fed raw diets.

Thanks for the heads up.

IF processing is done according to correct practices AND those practices prevent post production contamination of can and dry kibble, there SHOULD be no problems there even IF contaminated product gets into the pet food production. Regardless, not a good situation.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think chickens are trying to convince us that they are not good eating.

Thanks for the heads up!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What have we done to ourselves?

I'm reminded of Pogo who said "I have seen the enemy and he is us"
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is link to CDC. Captcha wouldn't let me put it into above post. :R

CDC and public health and regulatory officials in several states are investigating a multistate outbreak of multidrug-resistant Salmonella infections linked to raw chicken products. The U.S. Department of Agricultureโ€™s Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA-FSIS) is monitoring the outbreak
https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/infantis-10-18/index.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.