cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing 5er south to sell - worth the trip?

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
The used market in New England isn't at its best when frost and snow are on the immediate horizon. It was suggested that I might want to drive it south into either the Carolina's or even further. The assumption being that someone might be interested in temporary quarters while their home is being repaired,

Anyone know if this idea is even worth considering? Or know of a reputable consignment dealer south of the Maryland/Virginia area?

Thanks!
Maine-iacs from the Great State of Maine

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab
3 REPLIES 3

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's the one in your sig is it worth all the trouble? A 2002 fifth wheel doesn't bring much money. Maybe just cut the price until it sells and move on.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you put it in an ad on Craigslist in Charlotte and some of the cities in North Carolina. Yes, it's going to be a pain in the rear to weed out SPAMMERS, but it will also get you into the market you are wanting to hit.

The last two RVs we have sold have been to people that have driven 6-7 hours to get here. Our last RV, I talked to him about 5-6 times, told him we would have to have cash. We took the RV to a local campground and he and his family met us there. They brought sleeping bags to sleep in. We let them stay in the RV overnight so they did not have to get a hotel room and could "try it out" for comfort. We parked our truck under the hitch so it could not be moved. Everything went well, they met us at a local bank and money exchanged hands, the title was signed over to him and notarized by a bank employee, I had typed out a Bill of Sale, we went back to the campground and moved our truck and they were on their way.

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but it sure worked for us. I did check him out before we met him and his family. I called the local Sheriff's Office where he was from, I googled him, and did some other background information. He had me take pictures of different things on the RV so he was sure we had it and were not scamming him.

Just use your head and if anything doesn't feel right, call it off.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you will have better luck selling it in a warmer climate. I don't know any consignment dealers in the area you are considering. It's probably farther than you want to go but, I think PPLMOTORHOMES.COM in Texas have a good reputation and seem to have an large inventory of all types of RV's.