cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Maintenance

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
It is that time of year here in upstate NY to winterize the trailer. Had a great season if you don't count the two hurricanes which led to early departures from our campsites.

Here is my question. Each year I remove the battery and store it in the basement. In May I will bring it up and start using a trickle charger to get it ready. I was told that I should also check the water level each month (over the winter) and add water as needed. I have only added water once to the battery but now I am wondering if I need to do more, and how often and how much distilled water. Any information or advice is appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My batteries (GC-2) get charged fully in November and disconnected. Left outside and ignored until May. They lose about 10% of their charge through the winter. They are 7 years old and still going strong.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cardinals,

I live in Eastern Washington and it gets pretty cold as it does in New York. I bring my batteries into the basement each fall. I store my trailer about 14 miles away.

I check them when I bring them in. This year they were at 12.8 volts. I do not ignore them until May. I will check them something like every other month. Usually I will have to hook them up to a trickle charge when they are down a bit. I will check the water level once or twice each winter. As spring gets close, I will make sure the water level is up and then charge them up.

I don't think it is a good idea to ignore these the entire winter.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I pull them and store in garage, hook them to charger overnight about every 8 weeks. Rarely need much water. Get 6-8 seasons out of them depending on brand.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™d suggest REreading the battery manufacturerโ€™s instructions.

I've never seen a battery come with an instruction manual to read (or re-read)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I live in Florida , but I am curious , will a battery freeze ?
pom

Provided u are using a trickle chg

If u use anything larger that isnโ€™t auto u boil water out

Losing water during charging is why your checking the water level
Or store it in extreme heat that would cause evaporations

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Not if it's charged and you're not in Antarctica, not that Florida ever has a real freeze.

A fully charged battery is good to ~-80F, a 50% charged battery is good to ~-30F. You're in Florida, so no worries.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
A fully charged (100%) flooded lead acid battery will not freeze until the temp reaches -75 F.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Charge the battery then check the water level as downtheroad shows then store. There is no need to periodically check fluid level unless it is on a charger.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using this battery filler for over a decade and it does a great job of watering our pair of golfcart batteries to the proper levels, really reduces overall corrosion as I tended to over water our batteries during maintenance intervals.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Distilled water, not tap water. Tap water contains minerals that shorten battery life.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œHow do you know how much water to add?โ€

Iโ€™d suggest REreading the battery manufacturerโ€™s instructions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Cardinals wrote:
How do you know how much water to add?

Fill to just below the bottom of the vent tube...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know how much water to add?