cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50Amp Power Cord

R_E_Baird
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Jayco 30.5CKTS and the 50 amp cable does not have an attached storage reel like my 2013 Alpine had. Does anyone have a method of spooling it for storage? 30' of 50 amp cable is rather cumbersome to spool up like you would a hose.
Jackie & Roland
Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2019 GMC Sierra K3500
41 REPLIES 41

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Just a simple thought I had. If buying a replacement more flexible easy to deal with power cable, I would probably leave the factory annoconda strung out at home at my RV parking spot. That way I donโ€™t even have to get/coil/uncoil the cord used when away when I get to home base. To me this would be awesome as the day we leave on a two week trip is usually chaos! Would be nice to just pop the trailer side plug off and drive away.

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Milt wrote:
I saw this o a different site. Harbor Freight manual air hose reel. It works quite well. I made a wood base for it as I didn't want it mounted permanently.
Milt

X2

BugsRLB
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29725025.cfm

Check this post out!
2018 Ford F350 SRW 6.7PowerStroke/6 Speed Auto
2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Amazon reels

Not cheap but there you go

......and great way to go!

OP - you indicate you have a Jayco 5th. The 50 amp cord that came with my Jayco was a true "Anaconda" to be wrestled - especially when even slightly cold!..:(

Solution was a (12V) powered cord reel - WITH cord - which was *WAY* more flexible than the factory supplied Anaconda. I have it hard wired, mounted in a storage compt, with a small "notch" in the compt door to allow closing with the cord extended.

The notch has a small sliding cover for when it's not in use - looks
like a factory designed item!

*NOTHING* to move, lift or "tote" - pull out as much cord as you need - push button to retract.

Don't want permanent? - "Not cheap!" - (True! - It's neither!)

It wasn't cheap - but no problem to take it with me to the next 5er should there be one. AND - it takes less space than a laundry tote, milk case, or? for "Anaconda" storage.

(IMO) It is one of the best (if not *THE* best) convenience item I've ever purchased/added to an RV..:W

:C..

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You cant be too flexible. Have more than enough cable & the adaptors to plug in anywhere. Currently we are not at a CG but at a shoreside facility which has marine style 30 amp power. Yes, we have the adaptor to make it happen. Very nice location.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.

When prepared you can take advantage of places like this.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Twist-lock to Twist-lock.

My usual setup is: PI Energy Manager (chained to the pedestal), 4-prong to 4-prong extension if necessary, 4-prong to twist-lock OEM cord, twist-lock to twist-lock adapter into trailer.

The weight at the trailer is straight down and not trying to pull the plug out.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like it's 50A to me.

Description

CEP Temporary SOW Power Cord, 4 Conductor, 6/3 - 8/1 AWG Conductor, 50 A, 125/250 VAC, Rubber Jacket, Black, 100 ft Length, 3 Poles, 4 Wires, Star, For Generators, Welders, Large Power Items

Specifications

Brand: CEP
Amperage: 50 A
Color: Black
Number of Conductors: 4
Conductor Size: 6/3 - 8/1 AWG
Voltage: 125/250 VAC V
Prop65: WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm -
Jacket Material: Rubber
Length: 100 ft
Special Features: 3 Poles, 4 Wires, Star
Usage: For Generators, Welders, Large Power Items
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

sdfiver
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at the 6/4 SOOW cable. The sources I've seen list it as 45 amp capacity. Is this not a concern? Not an electrical genius here, just curious.
2016 F-350 6.7L Super Duty Platinum
2019 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I keep my cord in a large solid sided laundry-type basket. I keep enough cord uncoiled and laying on top to reach the trailer plug in. I only uncoil enough of the other end to reach the pedestal, then push the basket with the remaining cord in it under the trailer to keep it out of the elements. Then coil it back up when unhooking and store it in the back. Cold weather can be a bit of a pain, but c'et la vie.

What I do also with my 50amp cord. An oval laundry basket with the same method. No real big problem even in cooler temps.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Milt
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this o a different site. Harbor Freight manual air hose reel. It works quite well. I made a wood base for it as I didn't want it mounted permanently.
Milt

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Quote - "I wear mens medium work gloves "

Does that mean you have girl hands ? ๐Ÿ™‚

No these hands have worked hard, I just like my gloves snug! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Allworth wrote:
Amazon, West Marine, and E-Trailer all have the 90 degree plug twist-lock adapter.

Are they twist-lock to twist-lock or twist-lock to 4-prong male? Haven't yet looked...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have 50 amp rig but the issue is the same regardless. Sometimes the power outlet isn't conveniently located. I carry a heavy gauge extension cord which almost never gets used in campgrounds .. but when it does it used it's priceless.
Kevin

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon, West Marine, and E-Trailer all have the 90 degree plug twist-lock adapter.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"