cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No power from Battery

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
1st post - 1st question. 2nd trip with newest tt. I have power to both 120 and 12v systems when plugged into shore power or connected to the truck but it must be running. I have no power when just connected to battery. Battery is tested good. No blown fuses that I can find. Any suggestions
14 REPLIES 14

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
I know that now... thanks....

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
Navy E-8 wrote:
...Even though I checked the 30 amp inline fuse and thought it was good - it was not. Replaced the fuse and now everything works....

This is a common error. You may have visually checked the fuse and it looked okay....

True, the only way to check a fuse is to test for continuity.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Navy E-8 wrote:
To everyone who responded - Thank you very much. The problem was solved. Even though I checked the 30 amp inline fuse and thought it was good - it was not. Replaced the fuse and now everything works. Thanks again....

This is a common error. You may have visually checked the fuse and it looked okay, many times fuses are burned through on a spot that is out of view. If you don't have a multimeter get one, it can be very useful for many things.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
To everyone who responded - Thank you very much. The problem was solved. Even though I checked the 30 amp inline fuse and thought it was good - it was not. Replaced the fuse and now everything works. Thanks again....

Explorer II
Explorer II
My 30A resettable breaker located on the trailer frame failed and didn't reset. Same symptoms as yours.

If you are intimidated by a multimeter, a 12V circuit tester such as THIS will find your problem. You can buy them at any auto parts store and most big box stores. But I do highly recommend any camper owner to invest in a multimeter.

With the camper unplugged, if the tester lights on one side of the circuit breaker but not the other side, the breaker has failed. If it lights on both sides, the problem is downstream away from the battery. If neither side lights, the problem is towards the battery.
Make sure you are using a known good ground if the tester can't reach the battery negative post.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug trailer from AC Power Source and Truck umbilical cord

Measure DC Voltage on BOTH sides of the 'DC Circuit Breaker' (tin can with dual studs)

DC on battery side but not on trailer side....replace the DC Circuit Breaker
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
Navy, in your original post, are you saying that you get 12vdc in the trailer if it is plugged in? Your 12v stuff works? Then when you disconnect 120, the 12vdc goes away?

Yes. That is correct. Everything works fine while I have shore power hooked up or if I am connected to the truck and it has to be running otherwise the 12v stuff does not work. There are no blown fuses that I can find and there are no battery cutoff switches and there are no reset switches that I can find between the battery and trailer.....

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Before anything else, get a multimeter. Even a $5 or free with purchase Harbor Freight one. Otherwise, you're flying blind. You need o be able to measure things.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Navy, in your original post, are you saying that you get 12vdc in the trailer if it is plugged in? Your 12v stuff works? Then when you disconnect 120, the 12vdc goes away?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Navy E-8 wrote:
I saw that on you-tube and on here also. I am not saying there is not a reset button but I could not find it. I have two sets of a two prong device with wires going to them. Was told that a tiny reset button was on one going to the trailer. I did not dis-connect the wires - Is that necessary to set the reset button???
No, it's not necessary but, if there is a fault, it will immediately open the circuit breaker. Worth a try at resetting.

These little "tin can" circuit breakers are cheap, can be found at auto parts stores, and are easy to replace, should that be necessary. They will be marked with the value for amperage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that on you-tube and on here also. I am not saying there is not a reset button but I could not find it. I have two sets of a two prong device with wires going to them. Was told that a tiny reset button was on one going to the trailer. I did not dis-connect the wires - Is that necessary to set the reset button???

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the red wire from the battery, it usually connects under the trailer to a circuit breaker. There should be a button to reset it.

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
No battery cutoff switch anywhere. If there is I cannot find it.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Battery cut off switch somewhere?

Anyway, welcome to the Forum...members with much more knowledgeable than me will certainly solve this one for you....
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro