cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a car on a car trailer.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me Fleetwood 34' Expedition with a cat c7 and an Allison 3000 it has a tow rating of 10,000 lbs with a wd hitch or 5000 lbs with 500 Lbs tongue rating. My 2 current vehicles are a Dodge Ram 3500 and a Mazda 6. I also have a 16' car hauler trailer with electric brakes in good shape.

I would like to eventually get a better toad but for now I am thinking of towing the Mazda on the trailer. I just looked up the weight of the car it says curb weight is 3066 Lbs. I am pretty sure I will fit under the 5000 Lbs with the trailer weight. I have a State scale just down the road I may load it up and take it down with my pickup to get a weight and where I need the car placed to get the right balance. Do any of you tow with a trailer rather than a tow bar or dolly?
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
I have a new to me Fleetwood 34' Expedition with a cat c7 and an Allison 3000 it has a tow rating of 10,000 lbs with a wd hitch or 5000 lbs with 500 Lbs tongue rating. My 2 current vehicles are a Dodge Ram 3500 and a Mazda 6. I also have a 16' car hauler trailer with electric brakes in good shape.

I would like to eventually get a better toad but for now I am thinking of towing the Mazda on the trailer. I just looked up the weight of the car it says curb weight is 3066 Lbs. I am pretty sure I will fit under the 5000 Lbs with the trailer weight. I have a State scale just down the road I may load it up and take it down with my pickup to get a weight and where I need the car placed to get the right balance. Do any of you tow with a trailer rather than a tow bar or dolly?

So even if you go over 5K lbs, it's doubtful that anything will break or fall off. Not saying to do it, but we pulled a ton over for years, with an old gasser. The only ill effects were with pulling some long 6% grades and whereas the tranny didn't like it.
The tranny is usually the weak link in the chain (not with an Allison 3000 however), but one should always inspect the hardware for strength as well. Sometimes it only takes a stronger hitch receiver or with beefing up the one you have.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP won’t have any trouble towing that mess. I have been towing for years. More tongue weight means less trailer sway with in reason. I currently tow a 33ft Pace enclosed loaded behind a 40ft DP and have been coast to coast with it. You need only be concerned with power to pull and brakes to stop.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to position the car correctly on the trailer you need a way to measure the tongue weight. Lots of possibilities but the best way is to invest in a tongue weight scale or find someone who has one. I got one years ago and have had many friends use it to set up their trailers. None of them were correct, one who liked to drive all the way forward had 1200# of tongue weight for a 5000# trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1000-Trailer-Tongue/dp/B007REJTGI
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Load the car nose first and all the way forward. Do not worry about the 500lb non WD rating as that’s more for when the hitch is on a PU truck.

Wiring the brake controller will be a challenge.

I have been told on here that the coach is pre-wired for a brake controller I just have to find the wire loom under the dash.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

anakindogwalker
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both: tow 4 wheel down and on a trailer. Biggest problem with the trailer is having space at the destination to store the trailer, otherwise I would prefer the trailer.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 24 ft trailer with a Honda car and a Polaris RZR behind a Discovery with a C7 Cat. My hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs. It might slow you down a little in the mountains but otherwise it gets the job done.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Load the car nose first and all the way forward. Do not worry about the 500lb non WD rating as that’s more for when the hitch is on a PU truck.

Wiring the brake controller will be a challenge.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
load up your motorhome just as you would for a trip including full fuel, fresh water and lp tanks. waste tanks empty. food, clothing, pets, supplies, and people...don't neglect people. get individual axle weights and be sure each is carrying a load less than the corresponding gross axle weight rating.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

with a full tank of fuel but otherwise empty weigh the vehicles you want to tow. you don't need individual axle weights. then apply the above tests.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my '65 shelby replica on a trailer because it is rear wheel drive. I have never had a problem.
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I am pretty sure I will fit under the 5000 Lbs with the trailer weight.”

How pretty sure are you? Why not weight it? OR do you feel lucky, punk?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad