cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adding gfci outlet to inverter question

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
my xantrex freedom xc 1200 inverter does not have factory installed ac outlet plugs. xantrex sells a gfci outlet as an accessory that can be installed in 1 end of the inverter by removing a plate and connecting h the gfci outlet by a prewired "wago" type connector with black, white, green wire because some of the xantrex freedom inverters come with a prewired connector inside the compartment on the inverter. my model does not, it has a white/black a/c output wire available to splice into, no green (ground) wire. my question is can i run a small "ground" wire from the grounding bolt on the inverter to a "wago" type connector along with the white/black wire already on the inverter, then connect plug to gfci plug? i have talked to 2 tech support guys at xantrex and the only thing they can tell me is "the ac output wago connector should have "hot ground and neutral in the connector"
10 REPLIES 10

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
ok, no ground it is. thank you all for the help.

There is no good reason I can see not to connect the ground to chassis ground, even though it's not necessary for the GFCI's operation. I would still hook it up if practical. It does not reduce safety to have it connected, and for some devices may help with RFI shielding and filtering, among other things.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I won't say nice things abou those )@!#($*@!)#( Quick connector and I'm having some other issues with setup.. One menu option not performing as I believe it should. but.. I'm still happy with it.. One of these days I'll call in to figure out how to fix the menu issue.

I disable the charger on mine and use a Progressive Dynamics 9180+Wizard (like the wiz's programming better) But I have it set up so I can remote the charger back on if I need to should the 9180 get unplugged......again....
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
GFCI does not need a ground connection and ... In most cases the mounting "Tabs" on the GFCI are also ground. as is the case where you mount it..

THat said. Please let me know how it work otu. Photos nice.. I just put that ame inverter in my RV. got the remote hooked up and a GFCI for additional outdoor power is next.

will do thank you. the inverter has worked great for us for 18 months. it along with 2 12volt batteries run our residential fridge while on the road. we don't dry camp but i thought adding the gfci would be good for light power draw items inside and outside TT if the shore power went out for awhile. the remote switch is well worth the money.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ok, no ground it is. thank you all for the help.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
GFCI does not need a ground connection and ... In most cases the mounting "Tabs" on the GFCI are also ground. as is the case where you mount it..

THat said. Please let me know how it work otu. Photos nice.. I just put that ame inverter in my RV. got the remote hooked up and a GFCI for additional outdoor power is next.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying that you have to have a ground but the test button will not work without a ground. The GFCI will work, do it's job, without the ground.

Dusty

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, no green safety ground needed. If GFCI had been technologically doable before the safety ground was invented, the safety ground would never have been introduced. Obsolete now. If GFCI breakers were reasonably priced and didnโ€™t use $5 or $10 of electricity per year we would probably use them exclusively.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Short answer: yes. The ground just goes to chassis ground.

Longer answer: If you can fit a plain ordinary GFCI in, it seems to me to make the most sense to skip this wago connector entirely (since you don't have one to begin with) and hardwire it as any other GFCI.

Longer answer is also what i was thinking. The ac out put wires in the inverter are very short so not much room to work with as they are

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
A GFCI does not "require" a ground to operate. Of course the third prong should be grounded which can happen through the frame of the outlet. This was common in older houses (no actual ground wire was connected to the outlet).

If you own an older home that has no ground wire, you can still install a GFCI outlet and it will protect you from "faults", but you are require to label the outlet with the provide sticker that says "No Ground".

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer: yes. The ground just goes to chassis ground.

Longer answer: If you can fit a plain ordinary GFCI in, it seems to me to make the most sense to skip this wago connector entirely (since you don't have one to begin with) and hardwire it as any other GFCI.