cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot water tank bypass whine

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, I have had TT's for years. It seems like each one has it's own little quirks. These always have been Jayco trailers and from a 28' with one of the first slides to the largest one for the last several years with all the bells and whistles.

Here's the deal each one of these had it's own winterizing quirk. The last 2 that we've had are the worst for winterizing. Our 2014 had the HWT bypass located behind the vent pipe meaning you needed to be a contortionist to turn the valves.
Our 2018 322rets has reached a new level of difficulty. The first thing is the location of the HWT is is under the sink in the bathroom. You You need to lay down either with you body in the hallway or turned into the bedroom as there is no straight shoot into the under sink area.
The greatest problem is the valves again. You can perhaps remove a fixed panel to get into the area (if you have the proper tool) or again you reach into a blind area to turn the valves. There in lies the problem. I would say it takes no less than 15 to 20 pounds to turn them and the top one runs into the foam on the HWT, meaning it has more issues.

I won't get into the mess of wires and other obstructions in the area. 15 ty-raps just to clean up the wire mess.

I feel better now, I can face the rest of the world without an attitude. thanks.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.
6 REPLIES 6

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
How about draining the HWH, putting the plug back in and then using a couple xtra gallons of anti freeze to run through the system. Not ideal, but no reason it wouldn't work.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
This should be the only tool you need to remove the access panel...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should feel better but all my other Jaycos the HWT and pump were under the sink. Open the door and there they were. Jayco must've seen how screwed up everyone else was then joined the herd!
Another "improvement is the curly hose with a stab lock connection like an air tool. This is as tight as a wedding night ____ I think I pushed it in with no less then 12 lbs pressure. I'll put some KY on it next time.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have Class A rig with all the stuff conveniently located in once easily accessible compartment .. your stuck with the rest of us which usually mean removing access panels, lifting couches, or some other inconvenient way of winterizing.
Kevin

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
It's fairly common to remove a panel for some part of the winterizing procedure. In my case four screws secured the panel. I removed the screws and installed four magnetic cabinet latches instead. I also attached a drawer pull to the panel. Now it snaps securely in place, and the pull makes it easy to pop it off when needed.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
So you say there is an access panel that can be removed to gain access yet you've chosen not to do that?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad