cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pointing my TV antenna

dedmiston
I feel pretty dumb for asking this, but I seem to be getting worse at aiming my crank-up TV antenna.

I have a great app that shows where the nearest towers are, but I'm not sure how the antenna receives the signals.

Am I supposed to aim the pointy end of the antenna at the towers or the broad side of it? In other words, should the antenna be parallel or perpendicular to the towers?

I've always assumed it should be perpendicular. It's kind of hard to aim that way, since the arrow on the knob is oriented for lowering the antenna and not necessarily for aiming. Maybe I need to use some nail polish to show 90 degrees from the arrow to help me aim it.

Thoughts and tips would be appreciated.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
While the Sensar Pro is a good add-on, it's certainly not necessary and not the end all device for OTA TV. I have been in locations where the antenna stowed works better than the antenna up and locations where no matter where you point the antenna the reception is either excellent or terrible. You first need to know which way your antenna is pointing and if you do then using any number of online apps will also get your antenna pointed in the correct direction. Also keep in mind that having the antenna pointed in the correct direction is not always necessary for excellent OTA TV reception.

I have noticed the "Works better flat on the roof" syndrome too not far (Yards) from where I am now in fact.

I still like the Sensar pro because
It gives me a signal stength meter were I have the ability to choose the carrier channel to measure if I wish to peak on a slightly weaker signal. I do not know how the "Sure Lock" works

The response is faster than my TV (Now this is my fault I will admit but it takes about 1/2 second for the TV to catch up)

I can ADJUST the gain I'm not sure what but I get the feeling about 6DB above or below what I'd get with the wall plate (no ajdustment)

And a few other features..

OF course I know how to use adjustable gain.. Not all do
I know how to use all the features. again not all do.

But even if I did not understand the improtance of the gain adjustment.. It still beats anything else I've seen for that position.

NOW... But yes. knowing how to use it really helps.

When I was broke down in GA for 3 years my favorate station I could watch either via Cable.. when it worked (NOT very good and not often) or via the OTA antenna (SOlid almost all the time) OTA was not even killed by the himicane (Matthew) that blew by and knocked out nearly everything
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
lfcjasp wrote:
Our tv antenna looks like an arrow or better a Stealth plane. And I'm the director of its direction: DH turns the ring or plate and I point or holler which way the "tip" of the antenna it pointing. That helps, but I do like the idea of marking that with a Sharpie on the ring/plate inside. We've finally been able to watch the news on our tv:)
Sounds like you have a Jack antenna. The tip is actually the back of the antenna. The flat side should be pointed toward the TV transmitter site.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Our tv antenna looks like an arrow or better a Stealth plane. And I'm the director of its direction: DH turns the ring or plate and I point or holler which way the "tip" of the antenna it pointing. That helps, but I do like the idea of marking that with a Sharpie on the ring/plate inside. We've finally been able to watch the news on our tv:)

MrWizard
do you have the UHF 'wingman' on your antenna
you want that point at the tower

the arrow on the handle should be pointing broadside of the antenna
then with the antenna down.
the parking/storage position ring should be adjusted on the ceiling to match the arrow

that way the arrow works for both pointing the antenna and for storing it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Raise the antenna. Run the channel search. Select a channel with medium to better reception and rotate the antenna to get the best reception for that channel. Rerun the channel search.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the Sensar Pro is a good add-on, it's certainly not necessary and not the end all device for OTA TV. I have been in locations where the antenna stowed works better than the antenna up and locations where no matter where you point the antenna the reception is either excellent or terrible. You first need to know which way your antenna is pointing and if you do then using any number of online apps will also get your antenna pointed in the correct direction. Also keep in mind that having the antenna pointed in the correct direction is not always necessary for excellent OTA TV reception.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see that others have shown you the drawing.

Suggestion: DO you have the standard wall plate 12 volt outlet. light. switch antenna connection?????

Replace it with a Sensar Pro.

Now I can pre-aim with the Winegard aiming app but .. Well I need to know where both TRUE and Magnetic NORTH are (I'm good at that) but

Turn on the Sensar Pro. if not on the first ON option keep pushing top button till it shuts off and back on. Turn for biggest number on top window.. DONE.

In some cases I will manually force a carrier channel (Push top button 2 more then use bottom UP/DOWN buttons to select) and peak. depends on where I am.

Example the other MI Campground I stay in peak on 12 and 1-2 notches clockwise.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Antenna Head 'rear' is where the support arms attach.
Front extends forward of support arms
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dedmiston

So is there a front and a rear? Maybe that's my problem. Maybe I'm pointing the butt end of the antenna at the tower. Is there any indicator which is the front and which is the rear (without climbing up there)?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

The image above is a Sensar III. The newer Sensar IV has UHF director elements added to the front as image below.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

dedmiston
BarneyS wrote:
Dave, I used a black, permanent magic marker to draw a line on the rotating ring that showed the direction of the front of the antenna. That way, I would always know exactly which way it was aimed. On my trailer it is at about the 9:30 (AM or PM - take your choice :)) position from the "down" arrow on the ring.
Barney

Thanks Barney.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Antenna HEAD (face of antenna) points towards Tower
Antenna ARMS (metal wings) are perpendicular to Tower

If not already on antenna you should add the 'RV-Wing' ----snaps onto botom of head and has small array that points forward
Adds in signal reception AND gives you a 'pointer'

See Winegard Parts List
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave, I used a black, permanent magic marker to draw a line on the rotating ring that showed the direction of the front of the antenna. That way, I would always know exactly which way it was aimed. On my trailer it is at about the 9:30 (AM or PM - take your choice :)) position from the "down" arrow on the ring.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another Sensar Pro vote. Adjustable amp, peaking meter.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.