cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen TT equalizer hitch questions

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
A neighbor here is\n our AZ snowbird park has a small Lance TT and the Andersen equalizer hitch. It appears to work via tension on the horizontal chains from the lower part of the hitch head to the trailers A-frame, to do both weight distribution and sway control?

My question is it not putting a lot of force on the trailer hitch latch mechanism that is normally not present in conventional equalizer hitch, where the equalizing force in on the top of the hitch ball, not on the back of it?

It has some appeal due to be aluminum, as my Pro Series head and bars are quite heavy.

Your thoughts?

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3380--nosway-weight-distribution-hitch-8-droprise-2516-ball-3-4...

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
12 REPLIES 12

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
A spray can lubricant called Fluid Film might quiet the racket. A few applications might be needed for it to work its way in to the offending area.

The whole idea of a sway control like this is to created friction between two parts.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A spray can lubricant called Fluid Film might quiet the racket. A few applications might be needed for it to work its way in to the offending area.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
greydog wrote:
Touted as a "silent" hitch, ours is far from it and squalls like an angry alley cat whenever we make a turn.

My Pro Series sway bar makes a fair amount of noise also. Not even sure I need it, however have not tried towing without it. Chris

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are 6 pages of posts about the Andersen hitch from all the way back to 2011 which is close to when it first appeared on the market.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have one of these Bulldog hitches on your trailer, I would say go for it.

However if you have one of these that is quite standard fair, I would say no way Jose.

I do not believe that the latter is design for that much force on the latch mechanism. I can not see how this latch mechanism is rebuildable, and find no parts kit for it.

Bottom view.

When you look at the short distance from the ball down to the chain attachment point, then it is going to take a lot of tension pushing on the latch mechanism to transfer weight to the TV front axle. Ryan Andersen said up to 2000 pounds on each chain for a total of up to 4000 pounds.

Chris

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
I have, in my lifetime, made some purchases which were questionable and this Andersen hitch is high up on the list. Touted as a "silent" hitch, ours is far from it and squalls like an angry alley cat whenever we make a turn. I have contacted Andersen three times and have never gotten a response. I had planned to address some of the shortcomings myself but have decided it's simply not worth it so I'll probably just replace the hitch withone that works better. GD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would never buy one because of the latch issue you mentioned plus that ridiculous bracket that the chains pull against.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I've never used one, but when I was researching hitches, it seemed like it was ok on lighter trailers, but did not due well as you got to heavier trailers.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
There website claims it works for up to 14,000 pounds. All I know is we have one and a 10,000 # max weight trailer and it's worked great for 20,000 miles.I've seen no wear at all on the hitch.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never used one, but when I was researching hitches, it seemed like it was ok on lighter trailers, but did not due well as you got to heavier trailers.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just loOked at Ryan Andersen's video. The chains put up to 4000 pound of force on the back of the ball to create the weight equalizing. I wonder how long the coupler's latch will stand up to that?

Chris

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know anything about the hitch but after reading this no RVer should buy Andersen products!
click
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand