cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossed in Laredo, Oct 19.

haciendacontrer
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed our 1 ton F350 pickup today at Puente 2 in Laredo. No problems. Had purchased the permit online, received it in 6 days. Applied it to the windshield just before crossing, (in case of an accident to the truck on the road from Illinois, you would have to somehow get the wrecked truck to the border to remove the permit if applied too soon.)

We first went thru the declare lane as we had quite a bit of merchandise, and were told the franqusia is $300 usd per person right now, but will increase to 500 in December. Paid $2500 pesos importation taxes, and were requested to show receipts to confirm the price we paid for the TV, power washer, rototiller and a few other things. Without a receipt they can charge you what ever they feel like. This probably wont apply to most RVers, but just wanted to mention it. I think because it is slow right now they have time to be stricter than the busy time around Christmas. We did go thru 2 checkpoints and were asked to see the tax receipt, then sent on our way.

At the immigration office we obtained our tourist permits, were asked if we need the auto permission(TIP), we said we already had it and off we went.

Safe travels to all of you this season.
29 REPLIES 29

Talleyho69
Sorry it happened, but its sounds like you have the right attitude. Enjoy your vacation!

If you make it to Zihuatanejo, contact us and we'll buy the margaritas! Moderator

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you absolutely have to stop and have them stamped at immigration. That was the mistake we made, luckily we were stopped just outside of town, when they checked out papers and saw it wasn’t stamped they sent us back to immigration.

Talleyho69
A question for Tequila:

I know that the FMM forms have been available on line for a while, but it was necessary to stop and have them stamped and pay for them.

The new ones, that you pay for on line-do you have to stop and have them stamped or are you done? If not, what's the point???

Talleyho69
Assuming you made your deposit on a credit card, it will be credited back to that.

Just as a reminder, you don't have to exit where you entered. You are in the computer so can exit anywhere. Just remember to be SURE to return your TIP!

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I'm so clueless but how does the refund of the deposit happen?

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Sara,

Yes, you need to return the sticker before leaving. It's done at the same location. There is a booth in front of the building closer to the bridge (west). Be sure to get a receipt that shows you did turn the sticker in or you will get jammed up next time you enter Mexico.
There are booths just before you enter the bridge for returning the stickers but these booths have not been staffed for years.
Have a great trip in Mexico!

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We had two new windshields on our motor home replaced, each time removing the sticker carefully, onto a sheet of plastic, and then repalced it ouselves onto the new glass. Not much to it at all. We never have had anyone really look at it as far as we know. A friend who had a windshield on his motor home with the top portion blacked out, placed his behind the blacked-out top, not realizing it. They were never was questioned, although it was unreadable from the outside. Another incidence was that, when a discrepancy was discovered in his motor home's numbering of its identification tag, which required the search to go to the manufacturer, a sticker was never given, once this was cleared up. The driver relied on his paperwork, but was never asked about the absence of the sticker in subsequent several years traveling to Mexico.

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
It was at the 20km mark that we did get stopped, we turned around and went back to the bridge. Thank goodness it was manned! When we return do we need to stop there again so we can return our tip and get our refund back? Not sure how it works. I did it online so it is on my credit card. Thanks for all your help. Sara

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
The first time is difficult but once you realize the place you need to go is right under the #2 bridge it's a lot easier to find next time. At least you didn't travel too far into Mexico before you turned back. Nowadays the 20km checkpoint is rarely staffed (this stop used to make sure the paperwork and fees had been paid)so if you didn't get the VIP or tourist cards and were asked for them later it would have been trouble.

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't stop at immigration your FMM doesn't get stamped

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Yep we had to turn around, couldn't find immigration, went back across the bridge to the US, then back to Mexico, finally found immigration under the bridge. Wow how did I misunderstand that I had to seek out the immigration people ? Well we made it finally, people were very friendly and helpful. Thanks so much for answering.

Talleyho69
We never did.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
sdickbos wrote:
Help...we just crossed at bridge number 2 in Laredo, cameras took a bunch of pictures of us, we went through the nonndeclare lane and no one stopped us to look at our passports, papers or anything. Did we do something wrong?

I think you should have stopped at INM with the online paperwork.

Talleyho69
Doesn't sound like it. That is how it is supposed to go!