Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Canadian Rockies summer 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Canadian Rockies summer 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a few minutes, check out our blog entries for this area -- the link below is for Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, and that will get you to our other posts as well. In the blog, we talk about a lot of great day hikes:

Canadian Rockies blog posts

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

canadafan

Norfolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to get a copy of: The Canadian Rockies Access Guide published by Lone Pine Publishing.

It is a great guide for all your hiking trips, easy and difficult, in the Rockies.

Trevor

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be careful about what crosscheck says. Before our last trip, we looked at his recommendations and our list of "must sees" meant our 6 week trip would have to be three months long! [emoticon] I guess it just left a whole lot to do on our next trip.

We felt our most amazing hike was probably Gimli Ridge in Valhalla PP. Not only amazing scenery but few people compared virtually any other place we hiked. A long drive to get to the trailhead however.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/18 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

We felt our most amazing hike was probably Gimli Ridge in Valhalla PP. Not only amazing scenery but few people compared virtually any other place we hiked. A long drive to get to the trailhead however.

Shhssss....
Soup...

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

I have lots of day hiking ideas for you! But first, a question -- what is an ideal day hike for you? For us, we find that ten miles (round trip) with 3000 feet of elevation gain is about our practical limit -- 8 miles and 2000 feet is about perfect -- six miles and a thousand feet is a short day.

Also, what kind of an RV do you have? That will influence where you can camp. And do you have a toad or a tow vehicle? A good 4WD vehicle will make it easier to get to some of the trailheads.

We have a 4x4 3500 RAM and pull a 28’ TT.

Would like to try to avoid setting up and taking down repeatedly. If that means seeing more of just a couple parks and doing more day trips and staying parked in one spot, so be it. We can get going early for a day hike, but if we have to breakdown camp my we’re lucky to be on the road by 10.

you all have had some great ideas but it seems like a 3 month trip, not a 2-3 weeker! I need the real highlights and some kind of drivable loop on a map that lets me parse out details such as campgrounds and day hikes from there.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a lot of info from here:

Clicky

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2017: 41
Do we have time for shortcuts?

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, rvshrinker, here is a suggested itinerary: spend two days going from the northwest to Yoho (Kicking Horse Campground). You could do it in one, but it would be tough.

Spend several days to a week there. There is a lot of great hiking in Yoho itself, and it is an easy commute to Lake Louise. I would not camp in Lake Louise -- too much train noise. We left after one night and relocated to Yoho.

Then, I would spend a few days in Jasper. If you had a smaller rig, I would suggest Wilcox Campground, but the spaces in Jasper are bigger. Using Jasper as a basecamp, you can spend time at the Icefields, Edith Covell, Maligne, etc.

If you have another few days, maybe Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. Beautiful place, lots of day hiking available.

Then two days back to home.

Does that sound plausible, without a lot of setting up and taking down the campsite?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Canadian Rockies summer 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS