Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

radiator

vw
Explorer
Explorer
hi
I have a 2006 Winnebago journey C-7 cat. 50000 miles I have no over heating problem but should I just drain the radiator and refill with new coolant.?
rudi
18 REPLIES 18

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
ncrowley wrote:
Yes, you are very late in changing the coolant. There are probably other things you should be doing as well. If you privately message me your email address, I will send you a maintenance spreadsheet for your engine.

What makes you believe I don't have that spread sheet?

My engine is under the care of one best cummins service centers in Puget Sound. I'll trust them over a internet expert any day.

I was talking to the OP.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think he was addressing the OP.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
Yes, you are very late in changing the coolant. There are probably other things you should be doing as well. If you privately message me your email address, I will send you a maintenance spreadsheet for your engine.

What makes you believe I don't have that spread sheet?

My engine is under the care of one best cummins service centers in Puget Sound. I'll trust them over a internet expert any day.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Our coach is 18 years old, the coolant filter has been changed once, the fluid never, it still tests good, still is a clear green. and will be changed when it shows bad.

Tom,

Yes, I assume you are using the three way test strips.

They test for:
Freeze point
SCA concentration
pH

It is often the pH (coolant becomes acidic and starts "eating" coolant system components) that triggers a coolant change.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
not only be checked for freezing protection, but be tested for electrolysis.

That is what an anode is for.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
not only be checked for freezing protection, but be tested for electrolysis.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is 18 years old, the coolant filter has been changed once, the fluid never, it still tests good, still is a clear green. and will be changed when it shows bad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Did you just get it?

Every five years ALL fluids should be changed;

New coaches "NOT SO MUCH"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Did you just get it?

Every five years ALL fluids should be changed; differential, coolant, power steering, transmission, air suspension desiccant filter,etc.

I agree, with the exception of changing the air dryer desiccant more often if your MH spends a lot of time in the rainy north west. Add the oil in the front wheels if you have it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you just get it?

Every five years ALL fluids should be changed; differential, coolant, power steering, transmission, air suspension desiccant filter,etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Your vehicle came with an owners manual that has a maintenance schedule and suggested fluids. If you would like it to perform as well as possible for the longest time possible, I suggest you read and follow it unless you have specific reasons not to. I heard that . . . . , my friend said that . . . ., I read on the internet that . . . . are not good reasons to ignore the owners manual. Yes, it's that simple!

Chum lee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
vw wrote:
hi
I have a 2006 Winnebago journey C-7 cat. 50000 miles I have no over heating problem but should I just drain the radiator and refill with new coolant.?
rudi
Your Cat-C7 probably has a coolant filter. If it does, change the filter, replenish as required and leave it alone.
contact you local Cat, service center to know for certain.

If your engine does have a coolant filter, the correct filter DEPENDS COMPLETELY ON WHAT COOLANT CHEMISTRY YOU CHOOSE. If Caterpillar ELC (a good choice with a Caterpillar engine) the filter is a BLANK (filter media only, no SCA). But it in and forget it for 6 years.

Yes, if you choose a "low silicate coolant for diesel with added SCA, the filter may be different (depends on whether your new coolant already contains the initial dose of SCA or not).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

vw
Explorer
Explorer
thank you