cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ZION TO SEDONA

yaya
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best route in a 35' motorhome towing a Jeep?
17 REPLIES 17

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This may be of some help:

Sedona blog post

And yes, the road to Sedona is twisty. But not impossible at all -- just take it slow.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We took 89A down to Sedona from Flag when we had a 40' MH and toad with no issues at all. There is a nice CG down near Sedona along the creek. Betsy.
Betsy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I thought your MH was 30 feet.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2gypsies wrote:
Janss wrote:
I think ItsyRV means 389. From Kanab or Fredonia, you can take 89 or 89A. Both are scenic and perfectly doable, but 89A rises to Jacob Lake at about 8,000 ft and then a long downhill. From either section, then go south to Flagstaff on 89. I strongly recommend NOT driving down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon between Flagstaff and Sedona. Take I-17 to Hwy 179 into Sedona. See Oak Creek Canyon with your toad.

So you are skipping Grand Canyon?

This is the route we'd take and would advise not to take 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona. Take I-17.

We always stay in nearby Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park - a LOT less congestion! It's an easy drive into Sedona.

Caveats in Dead Horse. No sewer dumps at the site and, at this time of year, you are =required= to turn off water and disconnect hoses, daily. Just called them a few days ago about a possible trip in the next 2-3 weeks, and they've already had frost. Otherwise, it seems like a nice place. Verde Canyon RR is a great trip and I hear Blazin' M Ranch has good food and a great show.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
Here is an aerial shot of 89A thru Oak Creek Canyon. Discretion is advised...Dennis

WAAAY fun in a 'Vette! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something but whats the issue with 89A through Oak Creek? Thousands of RV's use that road.

You have a 21' Class C. Perhaps thousands of small RVs over a 10-15 year period; not a season.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled our 24 ft TT down 89A in the late 90's. No problems but it is very winding. Not sure I would take anything longer than that.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
That section has a 50' length limit because it is curvy. Beautiful drive but would be easier in a toad. Many more parking spots for cars than for an RV and toad attached. Also, be aware that you must have a Red Rock Pass to park and hike etc. Tickets issued regularly during tourist season. Many days the traffic passes through there at 5 MPH instead of the 40 MPH. Be patient..

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm missing something but whats the issue with 89A through Oak Creek? Thousands of RV's use that road. It's paved, it's wide, it has pavement markings, lots of guard rails and lots of scenic pull overs. Seems to be exactly what an RVer would want to see in their travels. I know it can be scary the first time, but once you drive it, you look back and wonder what all the worry was about. I drive in several times a year and find nothings scary at all about the road.

The only time an RVer should be concern is wildfire season or holidays when Slide Rock is rocking and traffic can be knarly near the park and campgrounds. Otherwise, it's not some washboard crumbling road, it's a well maintained and well used route for cars trucks, and RVs alike.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is an aerial shot of 89A thru Oak Creek Canyon. Discretion is advised...Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
I think ItsyRV means 389. From Kanab or Fredonia, you can take 89 or 89A. Both are scenic and perfectly doable, but 89A rises to Jacob Lake at about 8,000 ft and then a long downhill. From either section, then go south to Flagstaff on 89. I strongly recommend NOT driving down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon between Flagstaff and Sedona. Take I-17 to Hwy 179 into Sedona. See Oak Creek Canyon with your toad.

This is the route we'd take and would advise not to take 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona. Take I-17.

We always stay in nearby Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park - a LOT less congestion! It's an easy drive into Sedona.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have not done it, stop in Page, AZ and tour the upper Antelope Canyon. Wahweap Camp Ground outside Page is really nice.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
yaya wrote:
What is the best route in a 35' motorhome towing a Jeep?

When?

What do we enjoy?

Mission?

How long do we have?

Where have we been, where are we going?

Lots of Really good stuff between the two and more than one way to Go.

Let us know - then we might be able to give some useful info.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Janss
Explorer
Explorer

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara