cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV question

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I trying to install a swm kit to my Winegard T4 dome. I plan on mounting the swm 8 on the roof and connecting the two coax feeds from the dome to the swm8. I will now have two coax leads on the roof with one going to the living and the second one going to the bedroom.

The swm8 wire diagram shows one lead coming into the rv and being connected to a power inserter and a lead coming out of the inserter and going to a coax splitter which then feeds two receivers. I plan on using my H24 in the bedroom and the HR5400 receiver in the living.

Here is my question. Can I connect the coax going to the living to the inserter and then to my receiver without using the splitter. Can I then connect the coax from the bedroom directly to the swm8 to feed my h24 receiver. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
17 REPLIES 17

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you will need to upgrade all DTV receivers to HD receivers (which can be done now as they also receive SD just fine but that's about all we know. The post you quoted is speculation and why I say there is "almost" no chance. But, again, that's complete speculation since DTV has said we will get some channels with a dome but they have only listed a few examples.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DTV announced the end of SD transmission several years ago. There are posts that customers have gotten letters indicating they must upgrade to HD equipment due to SD transmission termination. So it certainly appears to me that it's a fact.

And I should have been clear that based on your post HD programs on 101 may be limited. We'll know more when the channel assignments are known.

Maybe the OP will get every HD program on his dome that he desires and maybe not.

Bill.Satellite wrote:
Don't get too excited about the idea of HD on 101. There is almost no chance you will get all the channels you pay for from 101. Think about it, why would DTV duplicate HD channels on 101 when they are already being broadcast on 99 or 103? I suspect there will be some HD programming there but I also suspect that most RVer's are going to be disappointed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
When DTV terminates SD transmission next year then 101 only dishes will receive limited programs. But until then it's all go and after that it remains to be seen how DTV shifts the programs.

You are the first person, including DTV, to state that as a fact. I have postulated that ever since DTV announced that when they end HD they will broadcast HD from the 101. However, I have not seen anything anywhere that specifically states that we will lose programming. Personally, I believe that to be true but what will actually be there is unknown, unless you have further information.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When DTV terminates SD transmission next year then 101 only dishes will receive limited programs. But until then it's all go and after that it remains to be seen how DTV shifts the programs.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't get too excited about the idea of HD on 101. There is almost no chance you will get all the channels you pay for from 101. Think about it, why would DTV duplicate HD channels on 101 when they are already being broadcast on 99 or 103? I suspect there will be some HD programming there but I also suspect that most RVer's are going to be disappointed.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for info especially Bill.
This upgrade will allow me to use two receivers and get me ready for HD on 101 if Directv makes a change.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill,

Given these specs for the T4 dome what is marketing for this especially for DTV?

I would be less than trilled if I wanted the Eastern Arc or HD for DTV. Isn't he going to get errors on his HR54 with DTV?

DISH Western Arc : 110, 119, 129
DIRECTV : 119 or 101 (will not receive HD on 110 or any KA-band HD on 99 and 103)

OP, I apologize for some of my posts as I didn't realize your dome had 2 coax cables for SWM. My dishes have 1 coax for the LNB and I don't have Winegard.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will need 2 short coax cables to go between the dome and the SWM8 switch. You connect these short coax cables to the SWM8 switch. There are 4 inputs but you only use the 2 indicated (google the Wineward SWM8 setup if you haven't). There are 2 outputs SWM1 and SWM2. Connect the existing coax to the outputs and those will go to the 2 receivers inside. Inside you connect the 1 coax that runs from the SWM1 connect to the PI29 (not home PI) and then from the PI to the receiver. The other coax connects directly to the 2nd receiver.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

Thanks for that info. If I am understanding you, I do the following:

1. Disconnect the two coax leads from the dome that are now connected to my br and lr receivers. Then connect these leads to the swm8.

2. Connect the lr coax to swm8 in swm1 position and connect Power Inserter to this lead.

3. Connect lr receiver to Power Inserter

4. Connect br coax to swm2 position and and receiver to this lead

Is this correct. With this setup what changes in the satellite settings will I have to make when I take these receivers from my home and place in the rv.
Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
hpdrver wrote:
I trying to install a swm kit to my Winegard T4 dome. I plan on mounting the swm 8 on the roof and connecting the two coax feeds from the dome to the swm8. I will now have two coax leads on the roof with one going to the living and the second one going to the bedroom.

The swm8 wire diagram shows one lead coming into the rv and being connected to a power inserter and a lead coming out of the inserter and going to a coax splitter which then feeds two receivers. I plan on using my H24 in the bedroom and the HR5400 receiver in the living.

Here is my question. Can I connect the coax going to the living to the inserter and then to my receiver without using the splitter. Can I then connect the coax from the bedroom directly to the swm8 to feed my h24 receiver. Thanks

You DO NOT want to use the splitter with that setup. The SWM8 switch has 2 coax outputs and either coax can go to either receiver. What you MUST do is put the PI29 (not a household Power Inserter) on the coax that goes to the SWM1 output of the SWM8 switch on the roof. The PI can be connected at either receiver, just insure that that coax is the one coming from the SWM1 output.
SWM does mean single wire but you will run mulitple wires to multiple receivers and all the necessary channels will be send down the SINGLE WIRE. You will still have a max of 8 channels available so your Genie will take 5 channels and your H24 will take a 6th with 2 channels left over!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why is running a new coax so hard? You have walls, cabinets, storage lockers, under the rig options, roof, etc. Or run from a splitter coax to the existing coax going to the bedroom receiver at the Winegard.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure I implied adding another receiver. Configure the rig H24 for SWM run a coax to it from the splitter. The 2 receivers should now operate independently. My HR24 did.

Try it what do you have to lose? Just run the coax inside to the H24. And now you can sell the carryout.

SWM does not need the SWM8 to connect 2 SWM receivers. It only needs the SWM splitter. Look up generic SWM wiring diagrams.

BTW When I had both SWM receivers I had 5 + 2 channel capability. Plus if I wanted the HR24 could view all of the HR44 recorded shows.

Bob

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I use the h24 now in the rv without swm. The object is to be able to use two receivers at the same time to watch different shows without adding another H24 receiver. My remotes are already rf. The swm8 kit came with a splitter to comply. With the Winegard swm wiring diagram. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
SWM splitter about $4, RF remote about $25.

Bob