cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cross country tandem Towing

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating a cross-country move in 2019 as a one time trip. I would be towing a TT with a 21 foot bass tournament boat behind the TT.

I am familiar with states that allow tandem towing and some of the restrictions (lengths, certification, weight, etc.) for those states. Still I have heard of folks that have been doing it for years and those are who I am asking this question.

Have any of you folks had any difficulties, legalwise with your travels cross country while tandem towing?

Any recommendations or advice, other than tow equipment, to go about this?

My route would be from Delaware to Oregon as final destination for just this one trip.

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
jerryjay11 wrote:
Okay folks. As I stated I am aware of where it is legal or not. As for Delaware, not concerned as I live near the state line. I am asking for issues that some of you have mentioned and appreciate your thoughts. I remember a few years back watching several P/U trucks pulling a TT and a bass boat behind the TT down Route 40. Just got me to thinking.

Legal issues are the most likely issues you will encounter. What other answers were you expecting?

If you think you can sneak it through, go for it.

Only two issues I was looking for was the safety issue and law enforcement issues. Those have been answered to my satisfaction. Thanks!

Anyone looking for a TR21 bass boat?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am licensed SD so maybe that has helped.

How would a law officer know that by looking at your rig chugging by at 70MPH?

For one I drive the posted speed when double towing. For two I have had several officers slowly drive by me with zero issue.

Bottom line I am going to keep on double towing in WA and OR. I understand I am taking a chance no different than when people decide to speed its all about risk n reward.

So far I am $3,000 ahead in Motorcycle transport costs. Paid off my MC trailer and still $1,150 ahead.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Several time there were LEO near the rest stop before the turn, and as you might guess, drop the second rig in the rest stop, pay the fine"

Do you know for a fact they were ticketed?

well what I saw was:

as rig come by LEO pulls out and lights come just before rest stop. we happened to be not far behind the LEO and were also stopping in the rest stop.

LEO then talking to driver in rest stop

another LEO in the rest stop as another driver is unhooking and dropping second rig. and another boat by itself in the rest stop.

Did they get a ticket? can't say but it looked like they couldn't leave till they dropped the second rig.

And then in Oregon they would have no more than 8 hours to pick up the second rig, limit on how long one can be parked in a rest stop.

It's been near the Idaho border where I've seen occasional doubles on the road. Haven't seen any on I-5 or further west. So can't say to what level a LEO would do anything in other parts of the state.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled my 16' aluminum boat behind my 5th wheel for 12 years in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and mostly in Louisiana without a problem. I had my insurance agent over for coffee to talk about the insurance policies I have with him. When I told him that I double towed he told me he would have to check on that. He called the next day to tell me that I wouldn't be insured if I double towed. I stopped in 2013. I still see it being done down here all the time. The few times I need my boat, I get my wife to tow the boat with her car or I drive back home and get it.
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am licensed SD so maybe that has helped.

How would a law officer know that by looking at your rig chugging by at 70MPH?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jerryjay11 wrote:
Okay folks. As I stated I am aware of where it is legal or not. As for Delaware, not concerned as I live near the state line. I am asking for issues that some of you have mentioned and appreciate your thoughts. I remember a few years back watching several P/U trucks pulling a TT and a bass boat behind the TT down Route 40. Just got me to thinking.

Legal issues are the most likely issues you will encounter. What other answers were you expecting?

If you think you can sneak it through, go for it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Several time there were LEO near the rest stop before the turn, and as you might guess, drop the second rig in the rest stop, pay the fine"

Do you know for a fact they were ticketed?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
One last thing to consider. In some areas on certain roads, they may may have a zero tolerance policy which forces you to unhook the violating unit and come back for it. But, unless you have another vehicle there to take that trailer, they call for an impound tow and that really can mess up your day.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Should you try for safety and some closed eyes you MUST have brakes on the 2nd tow, if not then park and pay ticket. Most I have seen parked DID NOT have brakes on the boat trailer. Might get ticket and let go due to the safety of others, you put ahead of pleasure.

NOT an endorcement just a comment. Safe ravels

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:

It's pretty much impossible to get cross country like this. None of the midwest states allow it unrestricted. Michigan requires an endorsement. Most only allow it with a 5th wheel, the rest have short length limits. Only when you hit Wyoming/Utah will you be in the clear. Until Oregon, as mentioned. Can't do it in OR/WA, so you'd have to leave the boat in Boise or Ontario (which is in Oregon, but the local PD won't bother out of staters with doubles that close to Idaho).

Actually South Dakota is ok with it. I have seen many TTs with boats, but I personally would not want pull a trailer with a bumper pull. I pulled doubles for 17 years here commercially.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
Before I retired (LE) we wrote illegal combinations and overlengths all the time. Not only did the driver get at least 1 citation but they dropped whatever they were towing had to be dropped. The driver had to figure where to move it and if he didn't or couldn't we would. He then had to pay the tow bill and storage until he come for it. Wasn't cheap.
We didn't cut them any slack and the reason was obvious. Like you, they knew it was illegal but they decided to do it anyway. If they intentionally violated the law then they could pay full frieght for knowing violate the law and thinking they could slide thru.

yup. saw this several time in eastern oregon near the idaho border where folks from Idaho wanted to come to a nice oregon campground on the snake river towing doubles. Several time there were LEO near the rest stop before the turn, and as you might guess, drop the second rig in the rest stop, pay the fine. At least they were nice doing the sting near the rest stop.

To quote Clint Eastwood "Do you feel lucky boy?"
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before I retired (LE) we wrote illegal combinations and overlengths all the time. Not only did the driver get at least 1 citation but they dropped whatever they were towing had to be dropped. The driver had to figure where to move it and if he didn't or couldn't we would. He then had to pay the tow bill and storage until he come for it. Wasn't cheap.
We didn't cut them any slack and the reason was obvious. Like you, they knew it was illegal but they decided to do it anyway. If they intentionally violated the law then they could pay full frieght for knowing violate the law and thinking they could slide thru.
Camped in every state

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerryjay11 wrote:

MY personal opinion is there is too much chance for the tail wagging the dog with a TT. BUT that greatly depends on how much Dog you have!

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer