cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dolly towing issues

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we will be dolly towing a 2016 Ford Escape FWD behind our 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and I have a question or two about this set up. The Escape has the EPAS (Electric Power Assist Steering) so the steering column does not lock. I have been looking at a Master Tow dolly that has a pivoting or sliding pan, which normally calls for locking the steering wheel. I am trying to figure out if this will create any issues with a car that does not have steering lock. By rights it shouldn't if the wheels are strapped down well and the steering is pretty tight (manual plus) without the electric assist running. The manual for the Escape is pretty useless. It just says to put it in Park and take out the key - no mention of fixed or sliding pan on tow dolly.

The folks at the trailer place where they have the tow dollies are also not really up to speed with this so I am looking for anyone who might have experience with this.

Also, a question on auxiliary lights: I know that the tow dolly itself has lights and a four prong plug which will plug into the RV. If I put magnetic mount auxiliary lights on the Escape, where do they plug in? Is there a plug that will allow piggy-backing the auxiliary and the trailer lights?

Thanks, gang.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
10 REPLIES 10

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
What I did when I used a dolly was made a Y connector then plugged my magnetic lights into that. There is some plugs that have a built in adapter too.

My reason is my dolly was an older model and had incandescent lights. The lens of these are prone to leakage and corrosion then no lights. Spending the bulk of my career driving at night I have seen way to many dollies with no tail lights, marker lights or all of them not lit or the lenses missing. Even the LED lights may be missed by the dummy behind you.

I felt that getting the lights up higher in the more "normal" viewing height helped the visibility. Hopefully it would help the oblivious that have a great need to ride your butt that you are stopping or turning.

Why the law doesn't require lights on the rear of the dolled vehicle is rather then six feet forward and at near ground level beyond me.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that the lights had to be within a certain distance of the rear of the tow, perhaps 3 ft and visible pretty much 180 degrees?????????
bumpy

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
The lights on the dolly are about 2 ft wider than the car, if you can't see them you're too close.

You can tell that to the guy that rear ends you.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a dolly, our car did not have a locking steering wheel so I used a ratchet strap wrapped around the bottom of the steering wheel and secured to the driver's seat mounting bracket. After I was happy with the strapping, I cut the excess off of the ratchet strap and then kept it with the wheel straps.

One issue I had with the Master Tow. Make sure the electrical connection is secure where it passes from the frame to the turntable mounted fender lights. There is a quick connect there that separated on one side on mine and then got crushed during a turn. The other side was fine.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
The lights on the dolly are about 2 ft wider than the car, if you can't see them you're too close.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
Don't worry about the steering being locked, won't bother a thing. Its done all the time with older cars. As far as auxiliary lights go they are not needed. You can hear all sort of things about dolly towing because people just don't know how to use them. I've dolly towed 11 years with the same Demco dolly. Two different cars and two different motorhomes, been to every state except Wisconson without extra lights and no problems. Got on the ground one time with new car to hook safety chains but I soon fixed that. Learn how to use your straps correctly and you're good to go.

The post above is spot on,.....when using any steerable dolly such as the Demco, or any turntable dolly.

When it comes to the "rigid" non steering dollys, like the Acme etc, all my bets are off, because I don't like the principle,....
design.....idea,....call it what you like. I never used one, and they seem to work, but I wouldn't use one.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
Don't worry about the steering being locked, won't bother a thing. Its done all the time with older cars. As far as auxiliary lights go they are not needed. You can hear all sort of things about dolly towing because people just don't know how to use them. I've dolly towed 11 years with the same Demco dolly. Two different cars and two different motorhomes, been to every state except Wisconson without extra lights and no problems. Got on the ground one time with new car to hook safety chains but I soon fixed that. Learn how to use your straps correctly and you're good to go.

The lights aren't legally needed but the dolly lights on the fender are halfway up the side of the car and maybe 2 ft off the ground, when your following a dolly you don't have to move to far left or right to have the car blocking them. I would rather spend the 3 minutes hooking them up than be rear ended and ruin my vacation, my car, my RV and my dolly.

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
You can use the seatbelt to keep the steering wheel from turning. Loop it thru the bottom of wheel and back to buckle and then pull tight the same way a car seat is tied down. On the lights, I have the kind that has a 7 prong and 4 prong female on the RV and I plug the dolly into the 7 prong with a 7 to 4 prong adapter and I plug the magnetic lights into the other 4 prong. If you just have a 4 prong they make a
Dual 4 wire adapter

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would just plug in the aux lights unless you are towing the dolly empty.
bumpy