Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv 12v grounding question

BiggyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm hooking up a new A/C, thermostat and control box for my live in travel trailer.

Really different from everything else I have worked on. It's a Dometic system and they
have there own way everything is done. Have to use their t-stat and control box.

Where I need your help:
I took the schematic and drew out a wiring diagram where I could understand it and uploaded
it, then sent the link to the head tech where I bought everything and asked him to look at it.

Here is that link:
http://jaxehost.com/or/for-lynn.jpg

And here is his reply:
"I have looked at this and you have to connect a 12v ground signal to the wire on the number 2 connection . The control box will not send the ground out to the t-stat.
Thank you"

So... as you can see from my diagram, I just show a normal -12v lead. He is saying something about 12v ground.

What does he mean that is different than what I have drawn?

Thank you kindly for you expert help,
John
5 REPLIES 5

BiggyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thank yoy guys.

I wired it just like my diagram and it works fine.

PS - I'm just used to working on 12 volt auto systems and electronic circuits so I expected if he ment a connection to the frame, he would just say chassis ground. Just through me a bit.

Thanks again for the replies. All is well 🙂

John

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ground symbol

Just change your -12 V symbol to a ground symbol for clarity.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Your schematic shows -12V travelling between the two devices but no additional connection to ground. You need to connect a ground wire somewhere in the 12V circuit. You have the 12V constant power drawn but no lead to the trailer 12V ground.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I think drsteve is probably right in the confusion issue. There is no -12 vdc. It is 12v ground, or just ground. There are actual power systems that do have a + voltage and a - voltage (meaning below ground level), but not in an RV.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I think you confused him by calling ground, -12v. He's saying your diagram is correct.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP