cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
This weekend we were coming home from our last camping trip of the year. I have eaz lift weights distribution system. Three times on the way home I noticed Sparks coming from the rear of my tow vehicle. My weight distribution bar on the driver's side kept coming loose from the hitch and would hang by the chains. I thought maybe I didn't seed it fully but by the third time realized that wasn't the case.

Any suggestions??
5 REPLIES 5

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
How old is it? Depending on the miles it may just be worn out. Mine started that and it was the hole the bar went into was egg shaped. Long shot but itโ€™s not always as obvious as it sounds like it should be.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should carry a spare bar retainer kit along with a couple of bungee cords for the exact reason you posted about. Also, always make sure you grease the ends of those WD bars where they insert into the hitch head. That slot in the bars needs a bit of grease also so the pins don't wear too fast.

It ia very easy to replace the pin. Just carefully pull out the clip far enough to remove the old pin and put the new one in. You most likely won't need the clips but will have them in case you do.
Barney

Edit: Here is another.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice tip on the bungee cord in a pinch... I always carry a couple of those solid rubber bungee's as well as the 'rubber band' type, but those solid rubber ones would be great for that to get home on! Thanks Ben!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Temp fix seen often in camp grounds...bungee cords...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Broken lock pin is my guess..

You should see the little metal tab thing move out and snap back in when you put the bar in.

Then, you should be able to swivel the bar back and forth and it not fall out.

Of course, if you swivel it far enough, that's when it disengages the pin and you can take the bar out.

Or, you have a small rock stuck up inside the hole and the bar can't seat right and won't engage the pin..

I've had that happen before when I drug my hitch head thur some gravel on my steep driveway and got one of them stuck..

Anyway, it's all about those pins. It should be easy to replace it. Just have to get a new one and maybe carry a spare one with you..

I've been running for over 15 years with the same Eaz-Lift setup and have not had that issue yet!.. I keep telling myself "I should get a spare bar pin..", but still have not done it!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.