cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shake Down Fun

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
We had been planning on putting together a boondocking rig when a great deal on an 04 Eagle Cap came along. With it's aluminum frame it was just what we were looking for. We already had the 08 Silverado Duramax that we were no long using, so it seemed like the prime candidate for our conversion. I pulled the bed in March and started building the flatbed. We tried to buy a flatbed, but could not find one that suited our needs. Here's a shortened list of what we added. Air bags, Big Wig sway bars, Bilsteins, dually conversion, ac, 400 watts of solar, 4 six volt batteries, 30 gallon auxillary water tank, doors for the sides, and GlowSteps. There is a whole lot more but these are the major items.

18 REPLIES 18

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
reasley wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
Very nice , I have similar setup . Have gotten so spoiled with the side storage I don't think I could do without it. Is your side storage weatherproof ? How did you make the connection between the side doors and the camper ?

No, not weatherproof. However, drove for a full day in the rain across Utah and Nevada and not much water got in. We don't keep anything in there that would be damaged if it got wet. I will eventually get around to sealing it a little better, but it's a low priority at the moment.

I added a piece of 1" aluminum angle to the underside of the camper. The latches are "T" handle and rotate to latch behind the angle. The camper does not move, so the doors stay latched.
I have pretty much come to the same conclusion , anything that needs to stay dry goes in a plastic bin . With the curves of the Avion it would take a bit of work to make it weatherproof . If it was a dedicated truck I might try but the truck is used for other purposes off season so not worth it . Picture is in my profile . Have fun
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Very nice , I have similar setup . Have gotten so spoiled with the side storage I don't think I could do without it. Is your side storage weatherproof ? How did you make the connection between the side doors and the camper ?

No, not weatherproof. However, drove for a full day in the rain across Utah and Nevada and not much water got in. We don't keep anything in there that would be damaged if it got wet. I will eventually get around to sealing it a little better, but it's a low priority at the moment.

I added a piece of 1" aluminum angle to the underside of the camper. The latches are "T" handle and rotate to latch behind the angle. The camper does not move, so the doors stay latched.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
reasley wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Forgive me if I miss the obvious because I usually do. You removed the front jacks but left the rear. Is that so you could level better? Do you sag in the rear? Just curious, thanks and what a rig!!!

The front jacks stuck out far enough to obstruct rear vision and hung low enough to get damage by a passing rock. The rear jacks sit a little inboard of the of the flatbed frame and are more protected. The rear jacks help with leveling and stability. The way it is set up we can handle a level 2 to 3 trail

:C

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nice setup!

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
Forgive me if I miss the obvious because I usually do. You removed the front jacks but left the rear. Is that so you could level better? Do you sag in the rear? Just curious, thanks and what a rig!!!

The front jacks stuck out far enough to obstruct rear vision and hung low enough to get damage by a passing rock. The rear jacks sit a little inboard of the of the flatbed frame and are more protected. The rear jacks help with leveling and stability. The way it is set up we can handle a level 2 to 3 trail

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III

run100
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to have some fun with that set-up! Happy trails ahead!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Any issues with the tires rubbing?

We just finished a 2500 mile shake down trip and found a little rubbing on one side. I'll put a little more air in the airbags. If that doesn't work, I'll cut out a section of the flat bed and deck it with some diamond plate.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks sweet!
Now peel off that faded door trim and she'll look like a million bucks!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice setup, That's very close to the direction we're going.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Any issues with the tires rubbing?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet setup Reasley. Very nicely done, Sir. Appreciate you giving us a look.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Love the storage space on flatbed conversion.
Consider adding Stow'n Go for the steps.