cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Encore/Thousand Trails RV Parks

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Do RV Parks that are affiliated with the Encore/Thousand Trails program cater to members for extended stays like they do for short term stays by giving them preferred sites and discounted monthly prices? I can understand charging non-member guests more monthly but do they also give them the less desirable sites too?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
6 REPLIES 6

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. We don't travel a lot throughout the year. Mainly campgrounds within 2-4 hours from our home in Western NY during the summer months. Next year we are planning on wintering in Florida and have found several RV parks/resorts that have the Encore and Thousand Trails affiliation. I asked the question because we are considering a couple of those places in Central Florida and I wasn't sure if it's worth buying a membership based on how we would use it and what we would be provided if not a member.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the question posted.

The parks while open to the public are mostly tailored to the paying members. Encore is a bit different from the Thousand Trails parks in that you are assigned a spot BUT they also have more seasonal/ yearly rentals. The TT parks are mostly all first come first served spots and have less seasonal and are more tailored to transient travelers.

The TT parks do tend to be off the beaten path but not all wooded as described above (maybe you're in the PNW more than anyplace else - there they are). I'm currently in the Orlando TT location which has some shaded spots but for the most part you're out in the open. We've visited most of the states that have parks and have found that it really depends on where you go for the openess of the sites.
As for out of the way besides the park in Las Vegas this one seems to be the closest to civilization we've stayed in. The TT parks are called "preserves" not resorts and some do pride themselves in being out there (one park we stayed in was 70 miles outside of Seattle which by no means is close to me). The Encore parks are a bit closer to "town" if that's what you are looking for and do have some nicer amenities. We were at a beautiful park in Mesa, AZ that I'm sure most would call a "resort".

We're not long term campers so I can't say what the rates are for that and we have a TT membership with the added Trails Collection giving us a selection of Encore parks we can visit. Rumor has it that they're working to curb the long-term camping (raising rates). I've been to some parks where it appears that the manager has just let people do as they wish with the sites (and they looked like 3rd world countries). Those we will never return to. The long term people do give an influx of funds that the transient travelers don't provide. We pay our dues and basically camp without more out of pocket.

Thousand Trails memberships aren't for everyone (you will see that as people answer) but for us it's been invaluable. We've been able to be on the road for the last 1.5 years while I work and we maintain a home in St. Pete, FL. by staying at the parks with little to no additional $ out of pocket (they're not everywhere). We purchased a "used" resale membership so our out of pocket is low for what we get in my opinion.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with TT is they seem to emphasize "quantity over quality". Many parks have lots of sites without sewer hookups in order to cram more spaces into their property. Few have cable TV. Most TT parks are in remote locations without OTA TV stations. They tend to do little site work other than making a hole your RV fits in. I like wooded sites but I've seen very few TT parks that have satellite friendly ones. We do not go camping to watch TV but I do like to watch the news with my morning coffee. I have a problem considering something a 'resort' if some TV is not available. Many of them still rely on dated "Tengo" internet which to me is the worst of the worst. Myself, I do not see much difference between TT locations and state parks. When faced with that choice, I'll save the money and do the state park.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If you do overnight at a TT / Encore park, Do Not give them your phone # . Pay cash Or You will recieve many robo calls and fend off unsolicited offers to join.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
And lease lot out for a year at a time. So when you get a lousy site you have to drive by all sites leased out with nobody on them. By the way dont forget to upgrade.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TT zone pass membership. Also stayed before as a non-member and see no difference in site selection.