cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to identify Axle manufacturer

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 5th wheel that was bought used from a local dealer. I want to replace the bearings (preventative, don't have much faith that previous owner maintained anything very well). There are however no markings on the axle to indicate who the manufacturer is (no tag, no engravings). There is only a sticker from what looks like the original dealer, with the following information on it: Hubface: 86.5", C/S" 63.5" Over. Serial # 6000SE-56786-0515.
Here's a pic I took while underneath. I've contacted the original dealer, but anyone have any clues? Looks like a Dexter hub, and the axles does have some kind of E-Z lube cap on it.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
15 REPLIES 15

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Most real parts stores like Auto value, Napa, federated, can cross reference the numbers that will be on your old bearings. Try to get a good brand bearing like Timken or SKF. Same for the seals.
You may have a local bearing supply house that can help you also.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
As they said, pull a hub and disassemble. If you go to a site like etrailer you can match the numbers and probably figure out who made the axle. The bearing and seal numbers should be visible. Sometimes it's handy to have an inexpensive vernier caliper when dealing with axle shafts, bores etc. When you get the parts figured out make a list to have on hand of what your axle uses.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There are few different bearings to cover all trailer axles, there is no need to go to the axle manufacturers for parts. Just get the number off the bearings and order quality name brand parts. With the pressure on axle manufacturers to provide low priced product, there are better sources.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Got an answer back from the original dealer, referred me to a company called FrameCo (www.frameco.ca), they say the axle is produced by them, but the bearing kit they list on their site as the replacement looks suspiciously like a Dexter kit (Linky). Is it possible they repackage the Dexter (or other) frame & resell?

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, I appreciate the comments on the springs, but no, they are not flat, it's the angle of the photo (lying flat on my back). I just finished replacing the suspension equalizers and shackles/bolts (MorRyde CRE3000 & wet bolt kit matching OEM shackle size), so that's all ship-shape.
I guess I will pull the bearings in the spring and replace at NAPA. DOn't feel like pulling the axle sheath to see if there's anything underneath. No shocks on my model.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
All bearings have a part number on them. Your NAPA dealer can replace them.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree as to the springs being flat. The shackle straps look new, and heavier than oem. Maybe someone replaced with straps that were too short, causing the spring issue???

Jerry

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come to think of it, where are the shocks? Our 2003 Komfort 5er had shocks. If a 2012 Denali is the same as a 2012 Komfort, then it should have shocks.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I think those springs look too flat to do much. If it were mine, and I intended to travel with it, I'd replace the springs. I don't believe they're prohibitively expensive.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Like said above, pull a hub and check the bearings. Replace with Timkens if you need or want new. Some cheap Chinese bearings can fail in short order.

The leaf springs look flat and maybe need replaced, at least spray them with a rust preventative like Fluid Film.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Bearings are very easy to iinspect once you have them well cleaned of all grease. I would do like I suggested, take them all out, clean them well and check them. If their bad, replace then, otherwise grease them thoroughly and reinstal using new seals.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
At some point (2012s?) Komforts and Denalis were being built at the same Komfort plant in Oregon before it was shut down. Komforts had Dexters.

In the photo it looks like the axle is wrapped in sheet metal? If so you need to remove that to see the axle and its number. On the 2003 Komfort we had, the axle was fairly brown and there was a number on it somewhere in the middle that you could see if you sand-papered a bit.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Did email Dexter, they told me that any axle manufactured by them since 2001 had the info engraved in the axle at a specific location (mid axle, rear side,serial number), but itโ€™s not there.
Reason I want to replace the bearings is because I am not original owner and have no idea how well (or how badly) previous owner maintained. Bearings are cheap, figure better safe than sorry.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've found Dexter support to be very helpful you might call them and ask for hints....
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper