cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow or motorcycle hitch carrier

ralphpaulson
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1998 beaver Monterey. 36 feet long with a 10,000lb hitch. Would it be easier to carry a motorcycle on a hitch carrier or flat tow a small car. I have never driven anything this big.

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
9 REPLIES 9

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good motorcycle carrier designed to carry a thousand lb motorcycle is expensive and requires a stronger hitch with at least 2 receivers. I have both an enclosed motorcycle trailer and a motorcycle carrier. With the motorcycle in the trailer I have total piece of mind knowing everything is safe. Using the carrier I can't help but be a little worried about what is happening back there. Once at the campground the carrier is much nicer .... About a 2 minute job to lower the bike, in strap and roll off.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a look on u tube for โ€œ motorcycle liftโ€ - some 4 link non factory designs use a simple winch and pin securement. You spot the bike and tie down on the ground then lift and stow.

Designed right you can still flat tow 4 wheeler in the future.

Biggest drawback for me would be the constant load of road filth, dust, engine breather oil spots and flicks of driveline grease all over the bike every time you want to use it. So then you buy a cover to faff around with and blow off and...

Then you buy a small enclosed trailer:)

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
A 10k hitch can't support 10k of dead weight, it can only pull it. What tongue weight is the receiver rated for? Usually it's about 10 percent of the tow weight (ie 1k). How much does the bike weigh?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The bigger question is what size motorcycle and how strong is the hitch/frame?

A little 125cc on a sturdy hitch, may be quite reasonable. A bit goldwing...unless you do a lot of beefing up, may be a problem (also check the impacts on the rear axle weight ratings as the leverage will result in more than 100% of the weight of the bike/lift being added to the rear axle).

Another option to consider would be a swivel wheel trailer for the bike...The trailer now supports 50-60% of the weight and you can easily back up making it more suitable for a larger bike.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ralphpaulson
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
There are hitch risers that will step up the receiver hitch 4 to 6 inches. That should keep anything from dragging. Google and find one that is the size that works best for you. Amazon has 'em.

ralphpaulson
Explorer
Explorer
Will the extra over hang be an issue. The motorcycle carrier will add about 3 feet.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
A carrier will allow you to back up. A flat tow will not. Repeat; do not try to back up if you are flat towing a small car.
The drama of setting up a flat tow is sorta detailed. With the brakes, lights, safety chains, tow bar, etc, it can be a hand full to set up the first time. After that, it's not so bad.