Explorer
Explorer
This guy goes through a lot of work and you can decide how valid it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIsbRaArvk
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
GO RODEO, bronco bustin' bucking and stalling...

Try gasohol with a Mitsubishi 3.0 engine not using Shell or Chevron gasoline.
Would YOU pay $4.70 gallon for gasoline? That's with the 10% loss of mileage. I'm not even counting the .20 gallon premium price for Shell or Chevron.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Our vehicles drive fine on E10. Yes, you won't get as good a gasoline mileage with an ethanol blend as ethanol does not have as much energy in it as gasoline.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
and last week tested my theory by adding 16 ounces of Techron which did absolutely nothing. So with BP I do not need Techron. Yay!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Your little experiment proved exactly NOTHING because.....Techron is intended to be a fuel system cleaner and injector lubricant. While they have done a fair job of not hyping it for things that it won't do, they are coming close now.

So then, do you "need" Techron all the time ? Certainly not. As long as your fuel system stays clean and the injectors don't stick you may never need a similar additive.....either with the fuel from the station or from a can that you add in.

The generally accepted recommendation is to add the recommended amount to your gas about each oil change.....which these days is anywhere between 5 and 10 thousand miles. Still not "needed" but certainly won't break the bank either.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pemex needs to "grow up" about gasoline quality. Ever since USA gasoline was introduced in the form of 100% USA fuel for the northern Baja state (because Pemex lacked infrastructure to get fuel from the tank farm in Guaymas to Mexicali and Tijuana)...

And not being able to refine gasoline with a quality higher than Magna Sin, they were "encouraged" to import 100% USA refined premium. But the fuel PEMEX imports has MDA metal deactivator (electrolytic) and separate MBTE which is selectively added for sales in high emissions areas mostly based on seasonal weather quirks.

Presently USA gasoline stations are opening in northern Mexico and they are importing their own fuel. They are specifically not using Pemex refined base gasoline. Chevron Stations are touting TECHRON on their signage and diesel fuel sold in foreign flagged stations is guaranteed to be ULSD "Monikered Diesel UBA"

The only fuel I have found that actually helps that cursedly finicky engine in my toad is that which contains polyurea additive. Shell calls it "nitrogen additive" while Shell calls it Techron. I have been using straight BP gasoline for 5 months with no ill-effects and last week tested my theory by adding 16 ounces of Techron which did absolutely nothing. So with BP I do not need Techron. Yay!

With fuel prices at the moment being equal between California and Mexico I am not going to suffer a 10% loss of economy (forty US cents per gallon down the drain) by filling up inside California. Repeated fillups at one Chevron station then going straight to a BP station six or seven times has made my verification irrefutable. USA gasoline with alcohol sucks. Some folks may drive a WC Fields vehicle that thrives on alcohol. Mine doesn't.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
I believe, Gasoline is Gasoline and arrives at the terminal through the same pipeline but I think different octane in a different pipeline.

Actually all the stuff they transport goes down the same pipe.....or at least it can....and is seperated by something that doesn't mix easily with the main product......like water maybe.

That results in some loss when they divert the separation "slurry" to a different holding tank for disposal or recovery.

That's how it was originally done. Maybe the process is different and better now.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

And laboratories have determined conclusively that 10% gasohol DAMAGES the air a lot more than MTBE gasoline and therefore alcohol gasoline is strictly controlled.

I call BS.

I challenge you to produce evidence from a credible source to back that up.

If true, those folks in South America who use E85 and up almost exclusively are really in trouble.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
I believe, Gasoline is Gasoline and arrives at the terminal through the same pipeline but I think different octane in a different pipeline. Different additional chemicles are added to the tanker before its loaded with product depending on where that load goes. Iโ€™ve seen shell tankers beside pilot and loves tanker along with fleets of McKinsey tankers going to who knows where in line drawing from the same drop.

Yes, this is correct, at least down here, which is a large entry port for gasoline. The octane difference is really the only difference, at least in the large storage tanks.
The different companies add their extra chemicals to gas from the same storage tanks. I first learned this from a friends dad many years ago when he drove a Chevron tanker truck.

I got a good laugh from an older friend years ago that followed a tanker around watching the same truck deliver and fill all of the underground tanks at a station, then proceed to even different branded stations. He thought that there was no octane or brand difference because they all came from the same tanker truck...until I told him that the tankers have different compartments. They had to or you wouldn't be able to turn or stop the truck with the liquid shifting...
Inquiring minds want to know...

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
And laboratories have determined conclusively that 10% gasohol DAMAGES the air a lot more than MTBE gasoline and therefore alcohol gasoline is strictly controlled.

I wonder whom are the dumbed down sheep here?

I think the correct term, and I really like the word, is โ€œsheepleโ€........

But then again, MTBE harms political fund-raising a LOT more than does โ€˜corn liquorโ€™ in gasoline.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Or is the final process of putting water additives?

The ONLY TIME I ever had problems with water in Diesel was from a Sebatopol, California gas station.

Smart folks have WATER SEPARATORS and fine micron filtration. Other folks who don't wash their hands get influenza rather easily, get the drift?

Refineries in the USA do trade gasoline base stock. But more than mere additives are dispensed to make the fuel proprietary. Down here Pemex Premium is on a par with USA regular grade gasoline. PEMEX is cheap. They order base stock gasoline and it may or may not have MTBE. USA imported gasoline has the full refinery additive package. Chevron has "TECHRON" shout the huge signs.

I wonder whom are the dumbed down sheep here?

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I believe, Gasoline is Gasoline and arrives at the terminal through the same pipeline but I think different octane in a different pipeline. Different additional chemicles are added to the tanker before its loaded with product depending on where that load goes. Iโ€™ve seen shell tankers beside pilot and loves tanker along with fleets of McKinsey tankers going to who knows where in line drawing from the same drop.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"I use the alternative which includes PEMEX PREMIUM which is good fuel and 101% of it is USA refined. .

I didn't know Mexican crude can do Jesus' multiplication of bread miracle, lol.

Or is the final process of putting water additives?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"All garbage today and Pemex is even more garbage"

I'm a bit confused here. Did you not state you use off-highway diesel? Not being familiar with US law is not off-highway diesel ULSD? Or do some states allow special higher sulfur diesel for farming and generators and such?

My car vehemently dislikes Mexican refined gasoline*. When offered an alternative I use the alternative which includes PEMEX PREMIUM which is good fuel and 101% of it is USA refined. At home there are no alternatives. Here near the border, ARCO, and BP stations abound. They use only imported fuel minus the alcohol. When I went to the cardiologist last Thursday the stations in Chula Vista California were selling fuel for around $3.90 gallon. With alcohol. One ARCO station has a sign advertising "E-15 $2.75 gallon" I refueled in Mexico.

I would LOVE to see refineries build gigantic Alkylation plants and use the isobutane that is damned near given away for free. Requiring all gasoline to contain a minimum of 20% alkylate would radically improve gasoline and minimize emissions. Of course there is no alkylate lobby in Washington DC.

MoPar with Mitsubishi 3.0 engines. Mitsubishi and MoPar forums have I'll bet a thousand threads about how sensitive these engines are to gasoline quality.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A performance/dyno tuning shop owner in the city down the road 3 hours was on a radio talk program about gasoline. He had a customer bring in a Corvette. Dyno power down below spec. Pumped discount seller โ€œpremiumโ€ out of the tank. Put in some V-Power. Dyno output returned to Chevrolet spec. The customer had his removed gas tested to find out it was 87 regular. But it was cheaper....

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
One of the big differences beweeen Branded and unbranded gasoline is quality control.

This whole discussion is pointless.

There are only something like a dozen refineries in the whole US, maybe fewer.

Unless you live within 100 miles or so of a "brand name" refinery, the gas you get comes out the end of a pipeline and goes into a holding tank......from which trucks with ALL of the brands present locally fill up. ALL OF THEM; same gas.

Now they claim that the driver or the tank farm operator puts in a package of brand name specific additives when the tank truck is filled. There is evidence that doesn't always happen.

Do whatever makes you feel good......for whatever reason.....and don't worry about it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611