cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire life on a parked camper

brstem
Explorer
Explorer
We are interested in buying a used camper. The folks who are selling it have had it parked for years. They have used Armor-all to protect them from the sun. I am worried about dry rot. I'm afraid we will have blown out tires trying to get the camper home. How long do tires last sitting unused?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
20 REPLIES 20

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
I gambled once last summer on a set of boat trailer tires. Made it about an hour from home on the start of a long vacation. Had to leave the boat on the side of I75 in flint Michigan in search of new tires. That sucked. Never gamble!

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
You KNOW the tires will be no good, its the ROOF I would be concerned about. Probably been leaking unless the trailer was parked under a shelter, which most are not.

Charles

This is also an issue. Off topic there are so many other things other than tires. Roof, wheel bearings, and my favorite holding tanks. Rv's that sit in one place have a been known to have tank problems.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You KNOW the tires will be no good, its the ROOF I would be concerned about. Probably been leaking unless the trailer was parked under a shelter, which most are not.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stored inside, I just got 9 years out of a lightly used (less than 10k miles total) set of cheapo tandem trailer tires that hauled almost their max rating.
However I wouldn't have hit the open road with them for the last few years at least.
Trailer tires typically = replace them all every 5 years or so, or replace them 1 at a time on the side of the road through the new hole in you trailer fender for a few trips.

If they're not dry rotted, I'd fill em full of air, keep my speed down to 55-60mph and have a spare or 2 and a floor jack and head home with it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Goodyear and buy Endurance or got to Discount tire and buy Maxxis. Get them balanced. Don't go cheap on tires.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Order a set of tires already mounted on wheels. Take the appropriate tools and install the new tires on the spot.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree Tires like to roll on down the road. Sitting there like bumps in the parking lot is the WORST thing for them short of a knife.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
brstem wrote:
Thank you all for the input.
If we get this camper, it 175 miles away (one way).

We did the same with the first 5er we bought, find a tire dealer close to where you will pickup. Then make sure they will have the replacement tires you want. Then tow carefully to them, ours was about six miles at a max of 45 mph.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
no question if the tires are 10years old they gotta go.and now we know its a TT tires alot cheaper. about $1000. for good tires. if your only moving it a few miles on back roads I might chance it. sounds like a nice tt neds some TLC . don,t forget bearings and seals.

$1000.00? For a quad axle trailer or the new ST14k seen ya coming special editions lol?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
General rule to replace RV tires after 7 years. Maybe sooner if in direct sun all the time.

brstem
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input.
If we get this camper, it 175 miles away (one way).

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
no question if the tires are 10years old they gotta go.and now we know its a TT tires alot cheaper. about $1000. for good tires. if your only moving it a few miles on back roads I might chance it. sounds like a nice tt neds some TLC . don,t forget bearings and seals.

brstem
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2008, it has only been pulled twice. They have been using it as a lake house.