cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US50 through Colorado

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We're starting to plan a trip for next August and we have a choice of going through Colorado from the east to the west, using either US50 or I70. We're driving a 2007 Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis, towing a smart car. So, the question is - how is US50 in regards to mountain passes, traffic, etc. We've been on I70 between Denver and Grand Junction so we know what to expect there, but we've never done US50 before.

If you have a recommendation please speak up - but give good reasons for your recommendation so we can make a decision. Also, recommendations on places to see will be appreciated! Thanks!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004
10 REPLIES 10

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For some camping and sightseeing ideas along U.S. 50 between Canon City and Grand Junction, see my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Thanks everyone - our plan right now is to attend the FMCA Rally in Minot, ND then head generally south and east through Nebraska and Kansas, then west through Colorado. We've done I70 so it sounds like US50 will be a good alternative for us. Thanks again!

Or one more try at something Different from Minot - MAP - Down to Custer then Through the Snowy Range - on to Krimling down RT 9 to Silverthorne - on to Leadville across the Green Bridge at Red Cliff then on to Grand Junction.

Just a little different than I-70 and RT 50.

Just a thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone - our plan right now is to attend the FMCA Rally in Minot, ND then head generally south and east through Nebraska and Kansas, then west through Colorado. We've done I70 so it sounds like US50 will be a good alternative for us. Thanks again!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monarch Pass is the only pass you'll encounter and as previously stated, it's not a difficult pass by Colorado standards. And there's a bonus for going up Monarch -- when you get to the top, there's an aerial gondola that will take you up to the summit on the south side of the pass, and a small gift shop and observation platform. The views up there are what Colorado is all about, and should not be missed.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Prefer 50. In Gunnison the Palisades Senior RV Park is very nice. Betsy.
Betsy

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
We're starting to plan a trip for next August and we have a choice of going through Colorado from the east to the west, using either US50 or I70. We're driving a 2007 Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis, towing a smart car. So, the question is - how is US50 in regards to mountain passes, traffic, etc. We've been on I70 between Denver and Grand Junction so we know what to expect there, but we've never done US50 before.

If you have a recommendation please speak up - but give good reasons for your recommendation so we can make a decision. Also, recommendations on places to see will be appreciated! Thanks!

Having driven almost all the possible routes across Colorado I'd say try to do One going out and a different One coming back. All are good, some are more fun than others but your rig is good on whatever works for you.

RT 160 is another as is RT 24. If the Mission is just to get across I-70 is normally fastest. RT 50 is easy and will give you a little Mountains but not that much unless you jump off and go North or South a bit.

Let me give you the Most Enjoyable Mountain Drive Route - Not straight but surely a lot more fun.

Just one more option, They way we go if we have time, probably just a little longer than RT 50.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with all the above. Monarch has plenty of passing lanes going up from Salida--for whether you are passing or being passed. Going through the canyon between Pueblo and Salida is a very curvy route and require attention but is very scenic along the Arkansas River.

Nice places to spend some time: Salida and Buena Vista, Gunnison and Crested Butte, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Ouray, and Mesa Verde. Buena Vista, Crested Butte, and Ouray are not ON US 50 but are well worth going off route.

I hope you are not just "going through" this great part of Colorado.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I answered you on 'the other' forum. I agree.... Hwy 50 is a beautiful easy drive. Monarch Pass will be the only one you'll have - 6% for 9 miles downhill. I-70 is more difficult. Get into low gear before even heading down; don't try mid-way.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Very scenic highway!
You should have no problems. We have gone both ways.
Plan on time around Gunnision/Saperino. Good parks along the lake.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
It is a beautiful drive. Monarch Pass is one of the easiest I have ever driven. Have a safe trip!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"