cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special DL Required for RV's over 26,000 GVWR

MICKANDMICHELE
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know the rules about driving a 44' Class A Motorhome across country? Some states (i.e. GA, TX etc. require a different drivers license for motorhomes above 26,000 lbs. (GVW) but we reside in FL and they don't require it. Are you in violation when driving thru or staying in states that do require additional license? Can this invalidate your insurance if in an accident in one of the states that require a different license? Thanks in advance for any information.
23 REPLIES 23

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The OP said that they reside in Florida so I only gave the requirements for Florida which means they are legally licensed to drive any RV, regardless of length/weight/brakes, etc. There is nothing on my driver's license that says that I am supposed to follow COMMERCIAL regulations that might say that I must inspect my air brakes daily.

So you are saying that the Florida state law which restricts vehicles or combinations of vehicles, vehicle plus trailer, to a maximum length of 65 overall feet in length does not apply to a recreational vehicle?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:

California does require a non-commercial Class A to drive a Class A RV over 40 feet. AND AS WITH ALL 50 STATE IF YOU HAVE THE PROPER LICENSE IN YOUR HOME STATE, YOU ARE GOOD THERE.

There are roads that the state prohibits an RV over 40 feet are prohibited. Few RV drivers obey that law as the DMV website that has the roads published are generally short sections of roads. Highway 89 from I-80 at Truckee has half a dozen short sections that are “illegal “ to travel in a 40 RV. That said I’ve never heard of anyone being cited.
AND AS WITH ALL 50 STATE THEY HAVE THEIR OWN RULES AND REGULATIONS ABOUT WHAT IS LEGAL TO DRIVE AND HOW IT MAY BE OPERATED. UNRELATED TO DRIVER'S LICENSING.

THE TWO THINGS ARE NOT RELATED.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Its called recripical.
Driving license and vehicle license covers you for all 50 states, canada and mexico

There is one huge caveat to that however.

As stated previously, reciprocity does NOT cover equipment regulations, so if your coach has air brakes and your home State does not require an air brake endorsement, you are NOT legal in states (or Canada) where such IS required.

Yeah, I don't believe this is true. California does not require an airbrake endorsement so that's a lot of motorhomes being driven in other states.

California does require a non-commercial Class A to drive a Class A RV over 40 feet. There are roads that the state prohibits an RV over 40 feet are prohibited. Few RV drivers obey that law as the DMV website that has the roads published are generally short sections of roads. Highway 89 from I-80 at Truckee has half a dozen short sections that are “illegal “ to travel in a 40 RV. That said I’ve never heard of anyone being cited.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP said that they reside in Florida so I only gave the requirements for Florida which means they are legally licensed to drive any RV, regardless of length/weight/brakes, etc. There is nothing on my driver's license that says that I am supposed to follow COMMERCIAL regulations that might say that I must inspect my air brakes daily.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe you are still missing my point, licence reciprocity does NOT cover equipment (vehicle) regulations. For example, here in my home Province I’m legal to drive a motorhome and trailer combination up to 75’ long, but in Florida the law says I can’t exceed 65’ long. I cannot tell FL ‘too bad, I’m legal at home’.

Passing the air brake course IS what makes you a ‘qualified technician’ unless you have the appropriate category of mechanics license already.

Likewise, and more on point in this discussion is the ‘equipment’ requirement here and in many other jurisdictions that the air brakes be inspected daily by ‘a qualified technician’, the more commonly known ‘circle check’, before starting out each day.

As mentioned previously, this would mean your vehicle was not considered road-worthy, and could open you up to all sorts of fun & games in a lawsuit, or when your insurance company says too bad, so sad, no coverage, you weren’t operating legally or in a responsible manner.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you have a Florida driver's license, it says that with the standard automobile driver's license, you can drive ANY RV, regardless of size/weight/brakes, etc. It is on the back of your license and it mentions a Class E endorsement. With a valid Florida driver's license, you can legally drive in any other state, period.

Funny that, just a very fast search shows that the truth of it is that a Florida Class E license allows you to drive a vehicle up to 26,000 pounds, but that a CDL is not required for a recreational vehicle over that, EXCEPT, you are still restricted to size requirements, i.e. 50’ single vehicle and 65’ with a trailer.

So again, weight and size IS limited by each jurisdiction and the ONLY exemption is as regards to a requirement for a CDL for over 26,000 pounds in Florida.

The wording on the BACK of my Florida automobile driver's license is pretty simple:
Endorsements, Class E- Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. OR any RV

It really is pretty simple and the driver's license does not list ANY exceptions or restrictions.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you have a Florida driver's license, it says that with the standard automobile driver's license, you can drive ANY RV, regardless of size/weight/brakes, etc. It is on the back of your license and it mentions a Class E endorsement. With a valid Florida driver's license, you can legally drive in any other state, period.

Funny that, just a very fast search shows that the truth of it is that a Florida Class E license allows you to drive a vehicle up to 26,000 pounds, but that a CDL is not required for a recreational vehicle over that, EXCEPT, you are still restricted to size requirements, i.e. 50’ single vehicle and 65’ with a trailer.

So again, weight and size IS limited by each jurisdiction and the ONLY exemption is as regards to a requirement for a CDL for over 26,000 pounds in Florida.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Its called recripical.
Driving license and vehicle license covers you for all 50 states, canada and mexico

There is one huge caveat to that however.

As stated previously, reciprocity does NOT cover equipment regulations, so if your coach has air brakes and your home State does not require an air brake endorsement, you are NOT legal in states (or Canada) where such IS required.

Yeah, I don't believe this is true. California does not require an airbrake endorsement so that's a lot of motorhomes being driven in other states.

This is NOT true as you suspect. Your home State RULES! No matter what CA may or may not require, it does not apply to you. The only CA rule that "used" to apply, no matter where you were from, was the 60' max length, but that was repealed.

The issue is in the details, there is a difference between “required” and “available”.

There are many other instances where being ‘licensed and legal’ in your home jurisdiction is not legal elsewhere because it’s considered an ‘equipment’ issue, not a licensing matter. Items like trailer brakes, length or total length and double towing are things that vary from one place to another and could be legal ‘at home’ but not where you might travel to.

In speaking with an officer with the Highway Safety division of our Provincial Police he stated that a driver without an air brake endorsement would very likely have issues if it came to their attention, in the case of say a speeding or other ticket or an accident. He also pointed out the bigger issue, in the case of accident, whereupon Mr. Gunna Ownyou, a lawyer with the firm of Dewey, Screwem and Howe, gets wind of the fact you’ve been charged with driving without the air brake endorsement......... Oops.

MICKANDMICHELE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone that has replied!! I really appreciate it. Now we can enjoy our new RV without worrying about that!
Happy Travels
Michele

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
You can also add Nevada to that list, they went to class A non commercial licenses for over 26000lbs as well, funny thing is most don't know the new law.

In NV you only need a non commercial class B for a single vehicle of 26,001 or more lbs towing a vehicle less than 10,000 lbs.

A non commercial class A is required for a combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 lbs, provided the vehicle being towed has a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs.

Ref: NV DMV
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not this discussion again.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MICKANDMICHELE wrote:
Does anyone know the rules about driving a 44' Class A Motorhome across country? Some states (i.e. GA, TX etc. require a different drivers license for motorhomes above 26,000 lbs. (GVW) but we reside in FL and they don't require it. Are you in violation when driving thru or staying in states that do require additional license? Can this invalidate your insurance if in an accident in one of the states that require a different license? Thanks in advance for any information.

You can also add Nevada to that list, they went to class A non commercial licenses for over 26000lbs as well, funny thing is most don't know the new law.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Home State rules rule. If you are a TX resident then you must have a "big" RV rider added to your license. .........

There is no “rider” for a Texas license. If you are over 26,000 lbs you either get a class A non commercial or a class B non commercial depending on what you may be towing behind it.

26,000 and under a standard class C non commercial is all you need.