cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Planning software for PCs is extinct

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I knew that MS had killed their software back in 2012 or so. I liked it's user interface better than Delorme's.

I just bought a new laptop after the kid broke his and expropriated my wife's laptop. So I thought that this would be a good time to bring Delorme up to date. I was a bit surprised to find that there NO new versions of this type of software. Delorme's Street Atlas seems to be gone from Amazon. And Delorme itself has vanished from the internet.

I see Garmin bought them out and I suspect proceeded to kill their software to force people to buy their hardware instead.

There was another little known package called Pilot Navigator something or the other, I don't see it either.

Most extraordinary is the fact that used copies of the Delorme software is selling for up to $1000 on Amazon, or at least someone is asking that much for one. Topo USA is especially valuable and I have an old copy of that around here somewhere. Happily I did find my copy of Street Atlas 2015, no telling what that's worth on the used market now...

And I found a copy of RV Trip Planning Program for $20 on Amazon, it it likewise extinct but there are some copies still available. I've just had time for a quick look but I like what I see so far. The reviews are positive with a lot of folks bemoaning the fact that it is no longer being updated.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
16 REPLIES 16

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
lilys wrote:
RV Trip Planning Program for $20 on Amazon is so cheap.

Yeah I mention it above. But it isn't exactly full featured I'm discovering. Apparently no left click context menu for example. It's good to be able to drop a label on a map for example or click on a spot and add it to your trip route.
Superbumper

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I use S&T on Windows 10 and it prints well. I know it does not have the best campground info but using RVParkReviews.com along with it I can get an area and the pick the campgrounds from RVPR and use Google Earth for where it is and the type of roads.

I do exactly this same thing using the old version of Trailer Life Navigator (2011 the last available -- still some online when I last checked). Seems like no one is filling the void left by these good navigation programs, but the old ones are still useful when used in connection with RV Reviews and Google Maps and Google Earth.

These are PLANNING tools to be used before the trip, not enroute. That is the way I like to do my planning, but no everyone will agree with me.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use S&T on Windows 10 and it prints well. I know it does not have the best campground info but using RVParkReviews.com along with it I can get an area and the pick the campgrounds from RVPR and use Google Earth for where it is and the type of roads.

With this approach I also get the reviews.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
The truly great thing about both S&T and SA was their capability to plan a route and then navigate that route in real time. You could also adjust the plan to meet the facts and the rest would update as needed. So, things like approximate fuel stops and End of Day were reflected as required. That is all gone.

The nearest I have found after years of searching is ALK Co-Pilot. <> I have only been running it a little while and still do not have it all figured out. It is my only hope.

If you only go places that have really good high speed internet coverage, then the next bast is Furkot.com. This is not quite as powerful as the ones we like, and it is web based and I have never been able to make it track in real time. Plus, there is the old "when you loose the server" problem. We travel with a 3watt repeater and we can still end up out of coverage. It doesn't take much.

I really Miss Delorme.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
One significant caveat for those using RVTripWizard - it's underlying routing engine is Google Maps. Although you might tell it your height, length, etc., it will NOT use that information to route you around low clearance, weight limits, etc. Apparently it will inform you of them on the route, but won't provide an alternative.
2017 LTV Unity

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Furkot.com with good success. Similar to RV Trip Wizard, but free.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I used this for our last trip and it worked great. Tell it how far/long you want a travel day to be and it draws a circle around a stop at that distance. Look for parks at the edge of the circle. Links directly to RV Park Reviews.

Another vote for RVTripWizard.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
I have both Topo and 2015 Street Atlas from DeLorme. A real downer that nothing even close has been offered by anyone. I did see something for about $650! Out of my price range. Also the GPS antenna may also be a rare find!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
The problem with Streets and Trips is outdated campground and other POIs.

That and will it work with Windows 10, printer support, etc.

Well it installed on Win 10 with a AMD processor, and it runs. I don't have the printer setup yet so I don't know about that. And I never had a reason to run a printer now I think about it on that software. We take the laptop in the truck with us and run the gps anyway.

You're on the right track. You can still use it for trip planning. Roads don't change that much except perhaps if you get into a big city. We still use Delorme.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I have a copy of Topo USA, only $750!!!

You can use Garmin Basecamp and buy topo or highway maps for it. But I did like Delorme Topo even if it did do weird things occasionally. I used a gps with it but the naviguessor could never come to grips with the fact that we might be heading to the downward left, not straight up.
-jbh-

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:

Well it installed on Win 10 with a AMD processor, and it runs. I don't have the printer setup yet so I don't know about that. And I never had a reason to run a printer now I think about it on that software. We take the laptop in the truck with us and run the gps anyway.
Superbumper

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
check on the web and buy a used copy of the MS program.
bumpy

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll give it a look. I looked at another on Fulong or Furfong something with a "F" and it had terrible ratings on Amazon.
Superbumper