Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trip Planning software for PCs is extinct
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trip Planning software for PCs is extinct

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I knew that MS had killed their software back in 2012 or so. I liked it's user interface better than Delorme's.

I just bought a new laptop after the kid broke his and expropriated my wife's laptop. So I thought that this would be a good time to bring Delorme up to date. I was a bit surprised to find that there NO new versions of this type of software. Delorme's Street Atlas seems to be gone from Amazon. And Delorme itself has vanished from the internet.

I see Garmin bought them out and I suspect proceeded to kill their software to force people to buy their hardware instead.

There was another little known package called Pilot Navigator something or the other, I don't see it either.

Most extraordinary is the fact that used copies of the Delorme software is selling for up to $1000 on Amazon, or at least someone is asking that much for one. Topo USA is especially valuable and I have an old copy of that around here somewhere. Happily I did find my copy of Street Atlas 2015, no telling what that's worth on the used market now...

And I found a copy of RV Trip Planning Program for $20 on Amazon, it it likewise extinct but there are some copies still available. I've just had time for a quick look but I like what I see so far. The reviews are positive with a lot of folks bemoaning the fact that it is no longer being updated.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam has a trip planner. Passport America has a trip planner. Coast to Coast web site has a trip planner. I use all 3 when I do rudimentary trip planning and routing. I run different scenarios on each one and can go back and make adjustments as needed. Plus I have a good old fashioned atlas at hand. Works for me.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/18 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used this for our last trip and it worked great. Tell it how far/long you want a travel day to be and it draws a circle around a stop at that distance. Look for parks at the edge of the circle. Links directly to RV Park Reviews.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll give it a look. I looked at another on Fulong or Furfong something with a "F" and it had terrible ratings on Amazon.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/18 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check on the web and buy a used copy of the MS program.
bumpy

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with Streets and Trips is outdated campground and other POIs.

That and will it work with Windows 10, printer support, etc.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

Well it installed on Win 10 with a AMD processor, and it runs. I don't have the printer setup yet so I don't know about that. And I never had a reason to run a printer now I think about it on that software. We take the laptop in the truck with us and run the gps anyway.

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/18 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a copy of Topo USA, only $750!!!

You can use Garmin Basecamp and buy topo or highway maps for it. But I did like Delorme Topo even if it did do weird things occasionally. I used a gps with it but the naviguessor could never come to grips with the fact that we might be heading to the downward left, not straight up.

-jbh-

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/18 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

Well it installed on Win 10 with a AMD processor, and it runs. I don't have the printer setup yet so I don't know about that. And I never had a reason to run a printer now I think about it on that software. We take the laptop in the truck with us and run the gps anyway.

You're on the right track. You can still use it for trip planning. Roads don't change that much except perhaps if you get into a big city. We still use Delorme.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/18 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both Topo and 2015 Street Atlas from DeLorme. A real downer that nothing even close has been offered by anyone. I did see something for about $650! Out of my price range. Also the GPS antenna may also be a rare find!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trip Planning software for PCs is extinct
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS