cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer tip up thru MI, WI and Mn

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the thinking and preplanning stage of this summer's trip. I'm thinking about Wisconsin and Minnesota for sure and I'd like to do the Michigan upper peninsula but don't want to fight Black Flies, Sand Flies or Deer Flies which seem to infest the place from May to August.

Now we have what we call deer flies down here in FL along with horseflies but they aren't all that thick on the ground. I have not encountered the other two and would be happy to continue that streak...heh

But any recommendations on National Forests or State parks in the other states? My solar panels arrived today and I'll be getting them set up during the week. So we will be semi-independent in our new to us Arctic Fox TT. It already has LED lights installed and the usually extra thick insulation and thermopane windows. I put in 2 Trojan T-105 6V batteries. And we have a generator.

After these states, we have all June, July and a week or two of August, I plan to follow Hwy 2 west and maybe bounce up to the Icefields Parkway. Tho we may go somewhat south thru Iowa to do the Mormon Trail.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
13 REPLIES 13

socal
Explorer
Explorer
I Summer on Whitefish Bay in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan black flys generally thin out last week in July. Should you come to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan right outside of Whitefish Bay and Paradise are the Tahquamenon Falls you want to see these.

David
Sitting on LTVA Hotsprings

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an 1.5" steel tube brush guard on my truck that should handle the deer easily.
Superbumper

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
Watch out for deer in the road in the UP. I hit one on 2 and got stuck there for a week waiting for parts for my truck. Lots of deer/vehicle accidents there.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
We've done the UP in June and had it flurry on us. That means no bugs. Absolutely wonderful place and cant wait to go back.

Be sure to buy the yearly state park pass and use it. They are most most money grabbing bunch I have seen, but if you get the yearly pass, they back off hassling you.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
The Winged Menace Season normally abates by mid-July, but there is no guarantee. However, with that said, there is much to see and do! Many rustic state forest campgrounds all over the U.P. Many of the gems have already been listed, but definitely do a more thorough search for the type of travel your're looking for.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Take Gordon's posts to the bank. He is about as close to a native guide as you are going to find here and sure better than anything I have seen that was published anywhere. The UP is a beautiful place. Yes, the flies can be bad, but now worse that the bugs other places.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Also the municipal CG in Ontonagon is nice.

I used to live in MI and have been in the UP on many occasions. Only once did I run into the biting black flies. We stopped along Lake Superior at Muskallonge Lake, and had to get right back in the car. But 20 miles west at Grand Marais there were no flies, and we camped there instead.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the city owned "tourist" parks in Grand Maris, Munising and Marquette. Quite affordable and well located.

The city owned CG in Two Harbors MN is also right on the lake with great views.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with any of the state parks along the MN North Shore, but they book quickly.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to include the Upper and Lower of Michigan. August really isn't that bad for bugs. It gets cooler and less rain.

As soon as you enter the Upper Peninsula of Michigan from Wisconsin stop at a Chamber or Visitor Center and ask for the waterfall map. There are some nice ones with easy access on the western UP. Fort Wilkins State Park is a favorite of ours at Copper Harbor. Stay in Munising to tour Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore for a sunset cruise. Stay at Tahquamenon Falls State Park to tour Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.

Stay in St. Ignace for a day ferry trip to Mackinac Island. Bring your bikes if you have them along or rent them on the island. If you want a more touristy area cross the Mackinaw Bridge and stay in Mackinaw City. (Yes, it's spelled two different ways up there).

Then travel down Hwy 31 to Petoskey (state park), Charlevoix (Fisherman's Island State Park is rustic and nice), Traverse City and if you're lucky to secure a spot, stay at Platte River campground in Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore. We volunteered there and also gave the lighthouse tours on So. Manitou Island, part of the park. Take the ferry there from Leland. That whole peninsula is an absolutely beautiful place. Explore the small quaint towns. You'll love it. Promise!!

There are some nice national forest campgrounds in the UP of Michigan:

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm#michigan
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Your search was poorly executed. The search engine on this website is awful, that's a the problem.

The Northern states have a lot to offer. Michigan's UP has beautiful shorelines on three of the five great lakes.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or just avoid the UP, probably our plan. I searched the forum for Mi, Mn and or WI post and there were exactly zero that concerned camping in those states other than some complaints about state park upgrades.
Superbumper

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Can't avoid the flies in the UP imho, they come and go with the wind direction. Best recommendation is wear as sturdy of clothing as you can stand weather permitting.

They easily bite through lightweight shirts and pants. I still have scars from this summer. Bug spray doesn't discourage them at all.