cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing my broken electric hatch cover

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
The locking knob broke off my old electric cable hatch cover so I need to replace it.

I ordered out a replacement cover and I just received it.

It looks like it is held in with 8 screws and had some caulking around it. Figured I would reuse the existing screws since the new cover did not come with screws.

What is recommended for sealing it? Should I use strips of butyl caulking tape to seal under and around it or is it recommended to use something else?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

TIA, John S
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
2 REPLIES 2

ronfisherman
John S wrote:
The locking knob broke off my old electric cable hatch cover so I need to replace it.

I ordered out a replacement cover and I just received it.

It looks like it is held in with 8 screws and had some caulking around it. Figured I would reuse the existing screws since the new cover did not come with screws.

What is recommended for sealing it? Should I use strips of butyl caulking tape to seal under and around it or is it recommended to use something else?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

TIA, John S

I used Butyl Caulking Tape with SS screws. Then used 4" Eternabond to cover the edges of cover and roof.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Butyl pitty tape, SS screws. Do not reuse the old ones.
When your all finished and cleaned up the excess squeeze out seal around the top and sides with a fine bead of Dicor.