cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel hitch installation

Tconragan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I am attempting to install a 5th wheel hitch in my 1992 Ford F250 long bed. I have purchased a used 15K Valley hitch with rails and a universal mounting kit with L brackets for the frame. I am having a hard time getting information of exactly where to place/mount the hitch. Some info says 52 inches behind truck cab to center of kingpin. I have also seen 1.5 inches ahead of center of axle for the center of the king pin. The 1.5 puts my brackets in a hard place because of shock mounts etc.I am really just hoping someone can give me some exact placement or measurements to go by.
Thank you
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I much prefer having my king pin ahead of the axle center. I have my B&W Companion's side plates set as far forward as they will go, which gives me about 1.5 or 1.75" ahead of the axle. I know that my GN ball is centered on the axle, which I don't really like; I'd like =that= 1-2" ahead of the axle, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tconragan
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I would call Valley to get the correct installation instructions for your hitch and truck.

X2. Different manufacturers have different mounting info ranging from over the axle to some length in front of the axle.

X-3 -

ALL the mfgrs have Tech lines. Why settle for an answer on an internet forum - when you can go directly to "The Source"?

(IMO) Even if posters ARE correct - and something goes wrong, you will be scratching your head wondering *IF* you got the right info -or- did YOU do something wrong, etc.

When installing my PR SuperGlide (never had done one before)...had a Question. Called Tech line, found them to be very helpful - prompt info, answered my Q - completed the installation. No problems in the 12 years since..:C

~

I love the source idea. Valley went out of business in 2010...

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Google is your friend...

The very first search result
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out installation instructions on pg 17 in this link

Valley IS HUSKY

Product Information, Technical Support or Warranty:
Phone: 877-544-4449, Fax: 855-242-8922

Tech Support: techinfohuskytow@coastdist.com
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I would call Valley to get the correct installation instructions for your hitch and truck.

X2. Different manufacturers have different mounting info ranging from over the axle to some length in front of the axle.

X-3 -

ALL the mfgrs have Tech lines. Why settle for an answer on an internet forum - when you can go directly to "The Source"?

(IMO) Even if posters ARE correct - and something goes wrong, you will be scratching your head wondering *IF* you got the right info -or- did YOU do something wrong, etc.

When installing my PR SuperGlide (never had done one before)...had a Question. Called Tech line, found them to be very helpful - prompt info, answered my Q - completed the installation. No problems in the 12 years since..:C

~

Tconragan
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Maybe this will help!***Link Removed***

Or maybe this
***Link Removed***

Thank you!!! That looks exactly like my hitch and rails. They are interesting because the bolt holes are in line with the hitch tabs (center) instead of on the edges of the rails. I very much appreciate your help. Your google must be better than mine 😄

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe this will help!Reese/drawtite info

Or maybe this
Article

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tconragan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Industry standard when you had to mount your own hitch was 2” forward of center of rear axle.

Thats good to know. The 52 inch behind cab would put me about 4 inches in front of axle. It makes the trailer closer to the bumper too. Somewhere I found that I should have at least 4 inches behind rear bumper and trailer. That seems closer than I would like.

Tconragan
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt check for a part number. It did come with rails. I do not know what it came off of. The guy I bought it from got a truck that had a hitch, so he didnt need it. It seems to be like any reese ive seen. I am really trying to find any info on correct placement in the bed. Etrailer had a answer to someone else that 52 inches behind the truck cab was correct. It seems odd that for Ford making my body style from 91-97, there isnt more info available. I cant find one set of instructions for my 1992.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the actual Valley part number?
Do you have the rails?
What kind of rig did it come out of?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Measure the hitch legs and head. Some of the legs are offset I believe. May be that you install the rails center over the axle and the actual hitch itself will give the offset.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Industry standard when you had to mount your own hitch was 2” forward of center of rear axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Tconragan
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the advice. I am not too sure valley is still in business because I cannot find any contact info for customer service anywhere. It looks like I will just try to find a spot where I can avoid any rivets etc in front of the axle. It is my first adventure with my trailer I guess...

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would order a set of model specific mounting brackets for you truck. In many cases they use holes that are already in the frame. Most kits can be used with anybody's rails.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS