cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I switch cell phones on Verizon

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new for me LG phone to replace an Galaxy S5 with USB connector issues on my Verizon plan.

I'm sure I can repair the connector by switching it out (already purchased the kit) so I might eventually be switching back to it.

How hard is it to make the swap on their web site, rather then going into the Verizon store and letting them do it. I do realize that I have to swap the SIM card.

Is the switch immediate or is there a delay where I might not have cell service on either phone?

Thanks

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
18 REPLIES 18

MrWizard
i had the original Nexus, the first one, ON verizon

like you said multiple protocols are being used in higher in phones
allowing them to be used wherever desired
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Verizon system is more closed, than AT&T or T-Mobile
Only phone models that were released by VZW are allowed on the system
It doesn't have anything to do with Verizon but it does have to do with the fact there is not a standard protocol for cell phones in the US and newer phones can connect on multiple protocols.

I have an unlocked Google Nexus 5X that is approaching 4 years old and it was no problem whatever getting it connected with my Verizon account.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

MrWizard
VZW is still not compatible on older phones
Your new phone is multi carrier capable, and works on all carriers
The phone Mfg are producing more phones especially the high end smart phones
That have radio tech for all carriers, that way they produce only one version of each new model, which can be used on which ever Telco the user wants service with
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

You might be able to bring over an Alcatel phone that is the same model as VZW phone
But not an off brand virtual carrier, using AT&T service

Besides VZW is phasing out old technology, so old 2g 3G phones are not being allowed on new activations

Thatโ€™s not entirely true. I had an iPhone 6 and ordered a Pixel2 XL jail broke straight from Google which means I could use any carrier. I followed the video and switched my iPhone SIM Verizon card to the new Pixel and was in business within 2 minutes. I could have very easily went to an ATT or T Mobile store and purchased their SIM card and used any network I choose. A few years back, Verizon used a different system that wasnโ€™t compatible with other carriers. That is no longer the case.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
This just happened last week to my daughter. She bought an unlocked phone off ebay, went to the VZW store and they swapped it no problems. After she just left the store it didnt work, said there was a fraud alert or something so she went back in the store. Apparently the guy said when they switch the sim cards vzw thinks the phone was stolen so they shut it off. They fixed it and she was fine.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

MrWizard

You might be able to bring over an Alcatel phone that is the same model as VZW phone
But not an off brand virtual carrier, using AT&T service

Besides VZW is phasing out old technology, so old 2g 3G phones are not being allowed on new activations
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't need the latest phone you can still get the iPhone 6 (which is still a very nice phone ) for $100-$150 on certain promotions
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Great Call flip phone which I wanted to switch to Verizon some time ago. I brought it to a Verizon store and was told they couldn't do it. Maybe they wanted to sell me a new phone.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
OP back, ok here's what happened. I wound up getting a new micro SIM from the Verizon store for my new LG, the SIM card from the old Galaxy S5 phone was too big, not a big deal.

Actually having a new SIM is fine, the old phone is ready to go as a back up, no swapping cards is a good thing.

The one issue I had was changing the phones, it didn't work on the web site. Apparently when we decided to changes plans and wait for the billing cycle to end before it took place that freezes your ability to make phone changes. Of course the web site doesn't explain that to well.

Getting a live person to help me out with that was next to impossible with Verizon, "live chat" and their new Digital Assistant makes it difficult to speak to a live tech. Finally, connected with a live person from California who knew her stuff, she overrode the web site locks and made the switch for me, she even had me go back and forth a few times so I got the hang of making the switch. AND she even corrected the incorrectly inputted plan changes we made at the Verizon store, the clerk in the store did it wrong.

I asked for her home phone number in case we had problems in the future but she politely refused ๐Ÿ™‚

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help you but just switched old iPhone for new one. EASY! Mostly automatic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
Once the device transfer is complete the new phone is active almost immediately
But if the current SIM does not fit, then you will need a new one or cut this one down
I have an S5, it uses a micro SIM
Your new phone is going to be micro or nano, nothing new is using original size SIM
Open it and check first before swapping phone online

If you cut this one down, you will Need an adapter to go back to using the S5
Hopefully the new phone uses micro SIM and no alteration will be needed
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for swap the SIM card. If your card is too big, two options: 1. get out the xacto knife and trim down the plastic or 2. buy a SIM cutter from Amazon or eBay, they're cheap.

If you do go to the store, don't let them charge you anything. Sometimes they try to charge $9 or 10 for the SIM that doesn't really cost anything.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I did the SIM card swap and avoided the cost that Verizon charges to activate a new phone. I will be ordering another jailbroke iPhone soon and swapping the SIM card again. Takes about 2 minutes.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
I have done the online phone swap many times over the years.
Easy and pretty much immediate after rebooting phone.
The website will step you though it.

But as others have said, check that the sim card fits then new phone first.

If not, they will send you one free.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB