Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Summer tip up thru MI, WI and Mn
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Summer tip up thru MI, WI and Mn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dewey02 wrote:

Addy15 wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

I did the UP once and never again. I won't even drive near there!

Those of us who are planning trips there are curious as to why you feel this way...

I lived in the UP, Northern WI, and Northern MN for about 30 years. Yes, the black flies can be bad in spring/early summer as has been mentioned. But avoiding the UP altogether makes you miss out on some truly beautiful and enjoyable areas (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Porcupine Mtns State Park, Bond Falls, Agate Falls, Sylvania Wilderness Area, Kitchi-ti-Kippi (Big Spring), Saulte Lock and Dams, Mackinack Island, etc.).

A few years ago, we went in mid-to-late June. I was leary because I thought the flies and mosquitos would still be bad. We experienced almost none, except for one rainy day near Lake Gogebic.

We live about an hour from Door County. I'd pick the UP over Door County any day. Door County is too touristy for me.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

We were in the UP in mid July. No issues. Maybe it was because we were up in Munising and the warmest it got was 60 deg the day we left and it rained on and off for a week..........thanks now I need to go back, late July early August!

It was in the mid forties in the afternoon in Munising on a rainy afternoon when we were there last year in mid June. Never knew it could get that cold up there middle of the day that time of year, of course I live 6 hrs away. I could never live up there due to isolation and the cold but the U.P. is awesome in the summertime camping.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/18 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

We were in the UP in mid July. No issues. Maybe it was because we were up in Munising and the warmest it got was 60 deg the day we left and it rained on and off for a week..........thanks now I need to go back, late July early August!

It was in the mid forties in the afternoon in Munising on a rainy afternoon when we were there last year in mid June. Never knew it could get that cold up there middle of the day that time of year, of course I live 6 hrs away. I could never live up there due to isolation and the cold but the U.P. is awesome in the summertime camping.

Dan

And I checked the weather the next week and......mid 80`s. heard that from a lot of people, late July and August is the time to go. I also want to go in the winter with my snowmobiles!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/18 02:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The U.P. is simply gorgeous and so much to do and see. We have been going up there for over 50 years now and have been there in every month of the year on trips or for snowmobiling etc. Yes, the black flies can be bad in May and the 1st half of June but it's usually only bothersome about a 2-3 week long period and varies a little from year to year depending on when well above freezing at night starts. Needs to be above freezing for them to hatch.

Usually quite cool in early to mid June yet but when it finally warms up it's quite dependably warm from then on until about into mid October. We've gone up every year for the last 56 years for 1-2 weeks for the spectacular colored leaves time which usually peaks in mid October. It's about a 350 to 500 mile trip up there from our home on the Lake Michigan Shoreline in west Lower Michigan. We have NO black fly season down here and flies are rare and usually have very few skeeters also. Actually just got back from the U.P. almost 2 weeks ago and the colors were so fantastic+. So bright were the red and dark red, oranges, yellows, and in many areas mixed in with the many different hues of greens and pines. So bright were the colors that it Was almost iridescent to the eye! Just wish the camera could show the iridescent like it really is.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/18 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2015 we traveled to MN, UP, and Mich. in late July to the end of September. No bug problems and great scenery and places to visit. We stayed in Munising and traveled around that part of the UP, stayed in Traverse City, MI, for 3 weeks and visiting the National Parks along Lake Michigan as well as other spots in the area. Also great bicycle trails in MN and MI. Enjoyed salmon fishing near Traverse City. Enjoy the area and expect some rain. Try to go to Interlochen Arts center for a performance while in Traverse City.

michigansandzilla

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I earned the nickname "mosquito ninja" from our UP trip a few years ago in the first week of July.
Sure, it's beautiful, but the mosquitos and 28 degree weather at night on July 6th, made it not a fantastic trip.

My sons are going with their scout troop in the end of June...... I'm buying them hats with bug nets for their trip.

2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The UP in the fall is spectacular. In most areas, bug season subsides by early July. Great stuff to do all year long.

2001 RoadTrek 190

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love the UP too, but if you're looking to stop in Northern Michigan elsewhere, check out Hoeft SP or Wilderness SP. Wilderness is larger, so the crowds will obviously be larger, but it's great.

We discovered Hoeft this summer and really enjoyed it. Lake Huron side, a little quieter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Summer tip up thru MI, WI and Mn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS