cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pan fried Filet Mignon....not for the faint of heart

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
First time I tried this: 1-1/2 inch thick filet. S & P and brush with oil. Into pan with no other oil... on medium. Sear for two minutes and turn on other side for two minutes. Don't polk or move and disturb the sear. Take out and rest for 5 minutes.

Clean out pan and add 2 tbsp soft butter which was combined with 2 tbsp hot water. Back to medium. Filet back in for one minute and than turn and cook for another minute.

Add 2 tbsp softened butter to pan and as it melts, keep spooning/basting over the filet for 2 minutes. Flip and baste for 2 minutes. (A spring of rosemary was added to the butter.)

Keep an eye out for your preferred internal temp. Ours was 120 when it came out of the pan and rested for a few minutes.

Very tasty and tender.....
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
10 REPLIES 10

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ but a campfire is perfect for this
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I do: Heat a CAST IRON skillet to VERY VERY hot.

The proper skillet will be well seasoned. NO OIL

Put the steaks in do not let them touch. Do not move them.

I do not use butter to me it is just grease and the skillet will be way too hot for butter anyway.

Instead after turning the steaks I pour some Brandy or Bourbon into the pan and Flame the steaks. They take on a beautiful color and glaze and it adds the just right flavor.

Remove and put a dollop of either Blue cheese or Roquefort on top of each steak.

This technique is difficult in an RV as you just might melt the front of your microwave. But I have done it very successfully. And no RV exhaust fan or low output stoves are really designed for this.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
Filet mignon? Brown very quickly on each side. Period. Should be red inside.

For me I like my steaks the same as the sky, BLUE!!!
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Filet mignon? Brown very quickly on each side. Period. Should be red inside.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done this for several years. I pan fry steaks and thick pork chops in a cast iron skillet on the stove. I put just enough bacon grease in the skillet to prevent sticking, Montreal seasoning on the meat, cook 4 minutes on each side on beef and 5 minutes on each side for pork. The steaks come out medium to medium rare and MMMMM good. We raise our own beef (angus/ limo cross) and the pork is from a neighbor that raises pork so no unknown sources. We prefer the cast iron over an outside grill.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll pass on the rosemary too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Angus Beef.....I am now a believer that nothing compares to the taste of Angus Beef, even hamburgers! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, pan frying...
A little Cognac or Brandy and mushrooms... for a little different taste...

Fun... thanks...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Was sounding good until you got to the rosemary part

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great. I fix everything on a flat griddle. I start with the searing also, then add butter on top of the meats. It begins to mix with the juices and it's all caught in a drip pan. I keep basting the meat with the drippings keeping it extremely moist as it cooks. No other seasonings. The butter has enough salt, it doesn't need any salt at all. Any seasonings just ruins the meat in my opinion. Of course, you have to start with a good quality meat to start with. We get ours from a local butcher shop, and not a box grocery store. Yuck!

You hit the nail right on the head with this one! You just made me hungry!