cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford 460 Class A question??

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi my name is Dennis. I am hoping I can get some suggestions on fixing my problem. I have a 1996 Damon Intruder with a 460 Engine in it. This motor has performed flawless for 9 years since I have owned it. I do regular service as air cleaners, oil changes and little needs that arise. Here's my Question.

Yesterday I get in it to take it for inspection for new plates. It cranks up without fail as always and I let it idle for about a minute or so while I get it prepared to drive. All of a sudden it dies and for the first time in 9 years the Check Engine light comes on. Now it won't start. It cranks good but just won't fire up.. I am pretty sure it has about a half tank of fuel in it but now the gauge is on the 3/4 mark full and does not drop down when I shut the key off.

So any ideas as to where to start?? I have looked all over for a place to scan the system with my scanner but haven't found one yet.

I did find a hose that had deteriorated and cracked. I repaired it temporarily to see if that helped but it didn't. I runs from the back of the engine about mid ways and goes to a valve of some kind on top of the valve cover. then it runs down along side the engine toward the bottom. I will try to get a picture soon.

So with what I have said where do I start.

Thanks Much Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W
77 REPLIES 77

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
... I have a list of F53 Bounder buddies, from coast to coast, that have not had TFI failure. No has any of my F53 460 customers....
Richard

Key word is Bounder. Love how you assume stuff. Rebuild one MH engine, sell some bushing on Ebay, and then assume you and your buddies are the best things since sliced bread.

Me I just lived and traveled in my F53 six months at a time for seven years. Guessing I never met other "buddies" like you got. :R

FYI, that mobile mechanic went to an accelerated Ford mechanic school because he had other issues in High School and the shop teacher saw his potential. Best wrench spinner I've ever met, guessing you're out of his league, and just can't admit to it. Have another beer, you'll get over it.

What's your problem John? Are your insecurities bothering you?
Explain how I assume stuff. I've built more engines than you've even owned. I've spent more years with tools in my hands than you're been breathing. And now you're assuming stuff. I don't sell bushings on Ebay. Never have. Get your stories straight.
As far as Buddies, After meeting you, I under stand why you don't have many buddies. You're about as sociable as a Quรฉbรฉcois snow bird.
Bring on your mechanic buddy, I challenge him, or you, to any of the trades. Beyond Automotive, we can do commercial refrigeration, boilers, ladder logic control circuit, numatics, hydraulics, or making chips in a machine shop.
And another assumption you make, I don't drink beer or any other alcoholic beverages. I don't need the artificial reinforcement to give me an artificial sense of self confident. Maybe you do.
Or if you like, I'll be in Yuma again this year and we can go behind the wood shed and discuss this in private.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
... I have a list of F53 Bounder buddies, from coast to coast, that have not had TFI failure. No has any of my F53 460 customers....
Richard

Key word is Bounder. Love how you assume stuff. Rebuild one MH engine, sell some bushing on Ebay, and then assume you and your buddies are the best things since sliced bread.

Me I just lived and traveled in my F53 six months at a time for seven years. Guessing I never met other "buddies" like you got. :R

FYI, that mobile mechanic went to an accelerated Ford mechanic school because he had other issues in High School and the shop teacher saw his potential. Best wrench spinner I've ever met, guessing you're out of his league, and just can't admit to it. Have another beer, you'll get over it.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
dad4papa2 wrote:
RLS7201 , Good Grief You are about 70 miles from me. I just noticed your signature!!! I'm in Chillicothe.

Dennis

Dennis, you have a private message.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to say thank you to each and everyone who has commented on this thread. I don't think anyone could ever believe the kind of support that is here for the asking. For that I am forever grateful.

Thanks so much.

I will be away for about a week and my mechanic will be here soon after my return. I will post here and bump back to the top as soon as we get this baby up and running. I hope I will be able to post a cure for it and let others know what it took to get it back on the road.

I have tried so many of the tips here and learned so much about this engine that I hope I will be able to pass on a lot of that info to others later down the road.

So Catch you all in a week or so. Everyone have a Great Thanksgiving and safe Travels.

Dennis

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the ecm is under and just right of the steering wheel on the dash!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't confuse the ignition module with the ECM.ECM

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm assuming from your link that this is the replacement module for the big wide square one? Thanks so much for the help.
Dad

Ground screw is noted!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, that looks like it. Note the mounting screw is also ground for the unit.Ignition module

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm can't seem to get picture to post!!

Dad

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the Ignition Module. Thanks much in advance. Dennis

https://i.imgur.com/aGwQ4sS.jpg

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 , Good Grief You are about 70 miles from me. I just noticed your signature!!! I'm in Chillicothe.

Dennis

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Enblethen, that sounds like a great idea. Thanks much! Dennis.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:

Sounds like you're still not looking at the ignition module even though they give the symptom you're talking about, and are known problems past and present. More so on Motorhomes due to lack of good Ford engineering for air flow.

Ford TFI modules were a problem when mounted on the distributor but the F53 MH chassis has the TFI mounted on a heat sink on the firewall. There is plenty of air flow there and the TFI has very little problem on F53s. My 23 year old OEM TFI is still going strong.

Richard

Tell that to my old '96 460 Cruise Master. Mobile mechanic went right to it, and said it was one of the most common problems on the F53 after it left the factory.

Well there ya go, he wasn't up to speed. Two of the more common problems on the old F53s are brake caliper slide pins and the rear exhaust bolt on the right manifold. The TFI has given no more issue than any of the other ignition components. I have a list of F53 Bounder buddies, from coast to coast, that have not had TFI failure. No has any of my F53 460 customers.
I assume you've not actually replaced a bunch of TFIs yourself. So maybe you guilty of passing along internet hearsay.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP:
Suggest you get a new igntion module. If the tech comes and it is not the distributor, he could install new module without much additional charge.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow