cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping Gadgets - Christmas so close

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Would love to hear about those nice to have items in your camping collection. I always stock up with that type stuff over the winter, but I think I now have everything I could want (besides a couple items). You all just might spark some interest in new and interesting things I have not thought about.

Like to have:
-curved leveler/wheel chock
-Generator (Honda)

Nice Having:
-Clam Quickset Canopy
*so easy to set up and it has a ton of room inside
-Portable 45 Gallon Fresh water tank (bag)with water pump
*fill up anywhere and always have water to pump in my rv
-Propane Fire Pit
*I camp a lot at places that only allow propane fires
-2 collapsible round tables with cupholders
*Great for marshmellows & playing cards around the fire
-Coffee table that extends up
*We extend and eat on this all the time, also a foot rest
-Camp Chef 3 burner stove (extra cast iron griddle)
*So much more power than the RV stove and great with cast iron
-DirecTV Trav'ler
* Boy can this cut through trees...love watching sports outdoors
-Outdoor 8 panel Dog Kennel
*This beats tying my 3 dogs up. They love hanging out in there.

Many more extras, but those are some of my most used.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)
31 REPLIES 31

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love our 3 led lanterns. We leave 2 in the TT and have one in the house for power outages.
A high end headlamp is priceless when boondocking. I leave mine in the truck for emergency use. I was helping at an accident scene and being able to see and having my hands empty really helped.
I carry a Garmin handheld GPS whenever we are hiking, even short distances. I mark the location of my vehicle and can backtrack in case I get turned around.
I carry a good walking stick with me when hiking. It is good for keeping my footing and also can be used for self defense. I trained staff in the use of riot batons so I have more training than most with this.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
A favorite find from several years ago was the Flame Genie portable fire pit with carrying case. Uses wood pellets and this time of year I can go to ranch stores and buy 40# bags for about $6. Roughly 4# of pellets is the perfect post dinner campfire for us. Burns with virtually no smoke and we can position it in a good spot near our chairs.

Another must have for our dry camping is our Goal Zero Yeti 150. The primary two uses are to charge phones/tablets and to use with one of their small lanterns to add reading light to our dinette.

This year we swapped out our leveling blocks and added rubber pads. Nice upgrade to the process. We got caps for the top of the stack, and in sandy spots we flip the whole thing upside-down.

3M Command Hooks - Although I was wary at first because of our heat and dry air, we have some that are from our first year 5 seasons ago. We have several of the smallest right inside the door for keys. A large on in the bathroom for our Swiffer, others for hanging hats, etc.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t forget the Lodge Cast Iron!!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
There are several vendors that make them, but I picked up a couple from cabelas a few years back - remote control LED lanterns.

Leave it hanging and remotly turn off when you retire for the night.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my Tough Light LED lantern '

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IIH0ZFQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has 3 settings so I can get just the right amount of light that I want. It also has a red setting. It has different sorts of flashes too but, I have never found a need for them.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Gadgets? I love gadgets.

But on top of my wish list is more time off.

To camp, of course.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
To add to your want list, USB outlets are very nice to have. These, Bestten Cell Phone Charging Center, can plug directly into an outlet or you can get replaceable outlets that contain USB ports.

There's a lot of these devices available at Home Depot, Wal-mart, Lowe's too. I like the ones that have 4 or 6 AC outlets instead of just the 3 in the one above.

Yes, lots of different options available and many locally now. The link I posted actually has a nice feature in that there are two trays on the bottom that slide out to rest your phone on while its charging... which we've found useful.
I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

Installation of new door window & shade

Refrigerator Vent - Adding an outside light fixture

Fixed.
For some reason these two links weren't working in your post. Thanks for the added suggestions. I would like to replace my cheap storage door latches with magnets.
I love me some land yachting

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's some more to add to your list:

Cargo door magnets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqI1--HU59g&

Stove hood LED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFqg4hkZTU

Screen Door Handle

I use this at home so I don't have to dig out the 30 amp cord:
30 to 15 amp dongle for removable style shore power cord inlet
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RedRocket204 wrote:
Andersen does not deserve to make any further money in this industry based on his getting caught defacing in a National Park, and 2. The red ones are getting a lot of people saying they are breaking in 1/2.

Amen to that.

In case people don't know about that issue, here it is: (this is just one of many articles about his actions)

Google Search Results on Andersen Family Defacing Corona Arch

A friend recently told me about the Beech levelers, I'm about ready to order a set.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RedRocket204 wrote:
To add to your want list, USB outlets are very nice to have. These, Bestten Cell Phone Charging Center, can plug directly into an outlet or you can get replaceable outlets that contain USB ports.

There's a lot of these devices available at Home Depot, Wal-mart, Lowe's too. I like the ones that have 4 or 6 AC outlets instead of just the 3 in the one above.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the Trailer Aid device. It saved my bacon twice while we were on our big Rockies trip this past June and July. At the end of June while at Madison CG, I noticed the right rear tire on the trailer looking very low on air. Looked closer, and found a long self tapping screw stuck in it. Out came the Trailer Aid and pulled the offending tire off. We were going to Fishing Bridge the next day so had it fixed there.

About 4 weeks later, while on a temporary stop at a private campground in in Illinois the same tire was flat. This time with a nail. Out came the Trailer Aid, off came the offending tire. Fortunately, there was a Ford dealer a few miles down the road in the direction we were traveling. They were able to fix the tire.

BarneyS wrote:
I have one and it makes changing a wheel/tire much easier than getting out a jack.
I have seen them in Walmart.
Barney
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Robwny
Florida isn’t the only warm area. South louisiana would love to have you for
the winter! Mardi Gras and crawfish in the spring, 70 or so degrees in Feb!
We’d be glad to have you join us!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Per your want list of the curved leveler/chock make sure you let the person know to buy the Beech black ones instead of the Andersen red ones - Beech Lane Camper Leveler 2 Pack
2 reasons - 1. Andersen does not deserve to make any further money in this industry based on his getting caught defacing in a National Park, and 2. The red ones are getting a lot of people saying they are breaking in 1/2.

Andersen no longer owns the world of curved levelers, the Camco Curved Leveler with Chock is another great alternative. It has the advantage of being MUCH shorter so it will fit between even the closest set dual axle tires where the Andersen will not, even if trimmed.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380