cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upward lift doors Pain in the...

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
We have the storage doors that lift up to the ceiling. The significant other hates them as she only has one hand to get stuff in and out. She wanted it fixed. So, off to Amazon I go. I found the pneumatic door struts but there isn't a good way to get them on without some work due to the thiness of the wood. Back to Amazon.

So, I ran across these "Cucumis Stainless Steel Door Stopper" two for 14 bucks door stops that have a magnetic ball on one side and the fitting that the ball sits in on the other. They are about the size of a door knob. I put the ball side on the door and then the fitting side on the ceiling. It works perfect and is better than the pneumatic things. The magnets can be pretty stout but all you do is put a piece of clear tape in the receiver piece of the set up and it reduces the stoutness of the magnet. The ball end acts like a door knob.

I did use rivets instead of the screws that come with them but rivets are the way to go in a travel trailer anyway. I recommend the Arrow Fastener RHT300 rivet gun and 5/32 rivets for anything in an RV on the thin luan walls. You can actually remove them easily with the right drill bit also as you just sort of punch through the rivet.
13 REPLIES 13

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kavoom wrote:
Here is a pic

Nice, glad you found a solution that works for you.

Thankfully my cabinet doors swing sideways. But, you do have to be careful to remember that they are open and not bump your head on them.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pic

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
Upward lift doors Pain in the...

Yeah, I never liked those style doors either... I thought that style was discontinued in the 80s.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
Ok tell me how to do pictures.

Read this post: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15775751.cfm
Bob

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Ok tell me how to do pictures.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm lots of solutions. Wished I'd thought of the locking hinges. But this works nicely. I researched the pop rivets thing extensively and there are online YouTube things on it. I even tried them on an extra piece of luan so I could see front and back. I sure wouldn't put 50 lbs on them, but the speakers with stripped screws and these are just fine. The luan unsupported will warp and distort before these give.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
My cabinets have a T handle with two legs. I put 3 or 4 thick rubber bands on them and hook those to ceiling with 3M command hooks on the ceiling. Works well if you don’t leave them hooked open overnight in the hot summer.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.....my upper cabinet doors have 'self locking' hinges that keep the door open. Maybe the better solution?

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Go to home depot for the door holder with the magnets. I used them on my last few trailers to hold the outside door as opposed to that "T" holder they have. They will hold the door open even in winds. I also put one on the bedroom door because the TT is rarely that level that that door is always wanting to close. They cost about 4 bucks as I remember.
My new trailer has a "sticky" door that stays in whatever position you put it. Not bad idea but no great as the door always is hard to open.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the struts on all my upper doors, 7 of them, and had absolutely no issue with the thickness of the door frame or cabinet . Your knob solution sounds like its a bit intrusive but with no pics we can't see what it is. Struts are very easy to install and take up little room.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My DW can't or won't put stull in the top shelp of any of the wall cabinets, so I don't that to worry about, thank goodness.

I'm not too sure I would use pop rivets in Luan panels. There are other split rivets you could use but without a backing washer, there isn't much holding a pop rivet in place.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
About like a stainless steel doorknob. You hardly notice the piece on the ceiling.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks like they have many sizes. How do they look when installed?