cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headlights are too high towing, getting high beam flashed.

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
So I had to tow through the night on my last trip, something I try to avoid, but was unavoidable this time. I kept getting flashed by on coming drivers because apparently my lights are too high and blinding people. I have 2016 F250 with the camper package and use an 4 Point Equi-li-zer Hitch. The tongue weight of the trailer is only 700 lbs and the hitch is adjusted correctly according to the owners manual height measurements. The truck rear end drops approx. 1 1/4 from unloaded height, but this is enough to throw the alignment off for the lights. I am looking for suggestions on how to remedy this issue without using the hitch to do it. Using the hitch would put the adjustment out of the normal range according to Equi-li-zer. Basically the truck sags too much even with the hitch attached, or it sags enough to throw off the headlights, however you want to look at it. I have looked into the Torklift spring helpers, and they look reasonable, Is there other possible solutions. PS I do not want air bags, I think that would be over kill.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.
46 REPLIES 46

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
moebedick wrote:
Just to clarify my previous suggestion regarding Stabiloads on my lower springs.
The installation took approximately one hour. Turning them,literally,on and off takes about two minutes, does not require going under the truck if your arms are more than one foot long, and is greatly simplified when you jack up the rear of your truck about two inches. Just remember to place the Jack under your hitch to relieve the pressure on your springs. Air bags will not reduce sway. Stabiloads level the truck,reduce sway and improve handling.
I sound like a pitch man for these things,but Iโ€™m not. Iโ€™m just a very happy user.

I too have Torklift StableLoads on my truck. I have not yet got the hitch setup dialed in completely with the StableLoads engaged, but like them so far. I plan on adjusting my headlights down a bit also, I need all the light right in front I can get.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
The newer Ford Superduty trucks get flashed often, even unloaded as they use all 4 of the headlights even on dim.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
greydog wrote:
just the ability to adjust headlight beam as necessary when hauling a load. GD

That is called "air bags." You can even get them with remote control with an onboard air pump.

Adjustable head aiming is available on some models of the Titan XD. A simple thumb wheel on the dash adjusts them up or down.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
Airbags are just fine for adjusting the attitude of the truck but not worth a darn for adjusting the headlights. I still think this is a feature which should have been available years ago. GD

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Porsche had driver-adjustable headlights decades ago in the 928.

Pickups are nose-heavy and designed to take lots of extra weight in the rear.
Adjusting the hitch so you donโ€™t change the weight distribution at all isnโ€™t the right way to go.
Airbags work great, they donโ€™t ruin your empty ride and if you get the onboard compressor theyโ€™re effortless. I love mine.

However... I think if that little bit of squat is making your lights blind everyone theyโ€™re just adjusted too high in general. Crank โ€˜em down a bit before doing anything else.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:

Is it common for an F-250 to squat that much with 700 lb of tongue weight? On occasion I pull my travel trailer without any weight distribution hitch hooked up, and I have maybe that much of squat in the rear. It doesn't move hardly much at all.

Yes, the current F250 is known to have fairly soft rear springs.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
greydog wrote:
just the ability to adjust headlight beam as necessary when hauling a load. GD

That is called "air bags." You can even get them with remote control with an onboard air pump.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
You know, of all the electronic **** our trucks are saddled with nowadays, you would think some brilliant outomotive engineer would have come up with the idea of remotely adjustable headlights. It wouldn't even have to be electric. We have remotely adjustable mirrors, we have power windows, auto door locks, power tailgates, bluetooth, stupid monitoring systems which require the driver to scroll through a menu while he should be paying attention to the road. Surely we could come up with remote adjustments for headlights. Not auto compensating, I pray, just the ability to adjust headlight beam as necessary when hauling a load. GD

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
stickdog wrote:
I say just hit them with the brights and they'll get the message.

I did that once, and the oncoming car turned on his red and blue overhead lights and gave me a ticket!

Talk about a lose lose situation. If you flash him, he gives you a ticket, if you don't flash him, he will claim you left your brights on the whole time. Wonder who the Judge will believe?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others, if you're getting flashed with that minimal amount of squat, they're probably ain't too high from the factory. I would try to adjust them a little bit lower for starters and see if that helps. Also agree with the others, glad you're addressing the problem instead of just ignoring it and blinding everyone.

Is it common for an F-250 to squat that much with 700 lb of tongue weight? On occasion I pull my travel trailer without any weight distribution hitch hooked up, and I have maybe that much of squat in the rear. It doesn't move hardly much at all.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis12 wrote:
ljr , How did you install the airbags on your TV's

Iโ€™ve always had the dealer install them. Iโ€™ve been getting TVs and service from the same dealer for a long time so they treat me pretty well.
Larry

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one inch of sag makes people start flashing you they were probably too high to start with. Adjust them lower and you may find they are ok without a load. I load a 4K lb truck camper on and donโ€™t get flashed.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
A weight distribution hitch, properly adjusted will solve your issue.
2010 Suncruiser

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
ljr , How did you install the airbags on your TV's
Dennis Hoppert