cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been A Great Ride !

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Most of you know I have been active on here for many years. It has been my basic source of information and I have been glad to share Barbara, Sadie (woof) and my experiences over 21 years of part time rv'ing in the 11 western states and 2 western provinces; staying in 193 different rv places - many several times.

But our rv'ing life is over.

Three weeks ago I had open heart surgery for valve and vein replacement. It was very successful and in a few months I will be back to normal.

We had talked about quitting for a couple of years so this is fine.

What a blessing it is has been.

Enjoy and be safe. God bless.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

24 REPLIES 24

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
I have followed your posts, Lauren, and have always found them to be so informatiive and well written. I hope that you will continue to share your extensive knowlege with the forum. I wish you the very best and am so pleased to hear that you are doing well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Susan

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just 'cause you aren't on the road doesn't mean you can't chime in now and again. Over the years we've agreed on many subjects and butted heads on others. Hope to see you back hear again and the best to you on healing up.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, you sure know how to make a guy feel good!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank all of you so much. I have not been on here in a while and this was so wonderful to see! I will stop by on occasion as some things really don't change. Have met so many great people on the Forum and, yes, a few them in person.....Ken & Allison for a short visit that was great ... many others over the years. And some on the phone.

Our truck and 5er will be on the market shortly - 2006 Chev Dura / Allison (117k miles) and 2006 Mobile Suites 32. Both is excellent mech condition but, as one could understand, show like they are a 2006 vintage. We got about every option MS & Chev offered. Good units.

God bless all of you and I will check in from time to time. In the meantime do not drive your rv down hwy 550 south of Ouray or you might beat me to Heaven! 🙂

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Sorry to hear of your surgery but so glad it turned out well. Amazing what modern medicine can do nowadays. I'm sure a part of the success must be because of all that running and exercise you've done over the years.

But don't stop travelling! Our neighbors down the street sold their 5'er several years ago after 20 years of retirement travel. Just got to be more than then wanted to deal with. But they are still so active. The last trip was a week-long Elderhostel bike tour. Fully supported along the Great Allegheny Passage for about 30 miles each day. Next month they've rented a house for 30 days near Tucson.

We've found that by travelling at off peak times, we can get great deals on motels. Last year, we spend the week between Christmas and New Years down in St. George, UT. Mountain biked, hiked in Zion, etc. Cost us very little more than if we'd drug the trailer down and camped. We took a car that got a lot better gas mileage plus the motel was about 30% of what it would have cost had we gone in April or September! We'll be in a motel room in Moab this Thanksgiving rather than our usual camping trip. Got such a great deal. Plus, by that time of year it's dark so long, it's nice to have places to go or at least a TV to watch sports on.

So glad we got to meet you while you were in GWS. Allison also sends her best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! She always jokes about me being online with my RVnet friends and now she knows they actually exist. 😉

Ken & Allison

Ken, you keep staying in Motels - You will need to add that to your Signature Line 🙂 Let your DW know that we ALL appreciate you sharing your Knowledge with the rest of us, Few will equal your insight.

My DW does facebook I enjoy the RV.net and irv2 threads, and she wonders if you all exist 😉 as the trips/dream will never stop.

Pretty sure Lauren will still get out - Just too Beautiful to stay at Home.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Pray your recovery goes well. Thanks for all of your messages and advice you've given over the years. Even if not directed at me; I've read all I could find. Thanks also for posting your great photos!

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of your surgery but so glad it turned out well. Amazing what modern medicine can do nowadays. I'm sure a part of the success must be because of all that running and exercise you've done over the years.

But don't stop travelling! Our neighbors down the street sold their 5'er several years ago after 20 years of retirement travel. Just got to be more than then wanted to deal with. But they are still so active. The last trip was a week-long Elderhostel bike tour. Fully supported along the Great Allegheny Passage for about 30 miles each day. Next month they've rented a house for 30 days near Tucson.

We've found that by travelling at off peak times, we can get great deals on motels. Last year, we spend the week between Christmas and New Years down in St. George, UT. Mountain biked, hiked in Zion, etc. Cost us very little more than if we'd drug the trailer down and camped. We took a car that got a lot better gas mileage plus the motel was about 30% of what it would have cost had we gone in April or September! We'll be in a motel room in Moab this Thanksgiving rather than our usual camping trip. Got such a great deal. Plus, by that time of year it's dark so long, it's nice to have places to go or at least a TV to watch sports on.

So glad we got to meet you while you were in GWS. Allison also sends her best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! She always jokes about me being online with my RVnet friends and now she knows they actually exist. 😉

Ken & Allison
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing the best for a speedy recovery and good health going forward. As others have stated, your knowledge thru years of experience is an invaluable source, so please, do stop in once in a while. I recently went on my first cruise.....a great alternative to camping....give it a try, after years of traveling, I know it's going to be impossible to sit still and before you know it, have the itch to travel. What ever you do, don't let the recent issue stop you from living.....maybe slow a bit and relax, if that's what the Doc ordered, all to often people give up living the life they enjoy....is that really living ?.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on successful surgery and keep in mind that very little in life is permanent. However slight there's always a possibility you will change your mind in the future. There's also the possibility of renting a cabin at a campground or going "glamping". Change is inevitable but not always an end-all.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Who knows, in a few years you might miss it and be back. Anyway, all the best with the recovery. I had quad coronary bypass surgery 22 years ago and a few stents to follow. Fortunately still able to handle the work part of RVing and we're hoping to become half-timers in another year or so.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Glad your surgery went well. It is pretty amazing how far they've come with repairing the heart.

Don't be a stranger on the forum.
Everyone can benefit from advice from a seasoned RV'er like yourself!

Have a Blessed Day. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
The time comes for all of us. You've had awesome travels and good memories. However, you need to check in once in a while so we can debate driving Colorado's 550!! 🙂 Enjoy your new lifestyle. Arizona really isn't that bad in summer!

X2

Lauren you don't need to travel to offer insight and advice - always need to have someone represent the other side of the argument. 🙂

Imagine after a short rest you might just need to get back out - just not as far and not with the RV. With your camera you can Work on Sky Scapes and share them with all of us.

Take care of yourself, and enjoy the family,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The time comes for all of us. You've had awesome travels and good memories. However, you need to check in once in a while so we can debate driving Colorado's 550!! 🙂 Enjoy your new lifestyle. Arizona really isn't that bad in summer!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad your surgery went well! I wish you a speedy recovery. I do wish you would stay on the forum. You have a lot of great experience to share with those of us who can still use help from time to time... Enjoy this next chapter of your life. There are still new adventures and experiences to share in the years ahead.