cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone joined Harvest Hosts ?

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
WE’RE A NETWORK OF WINERIES, FARMS AND ATTRACTIONS THAT INVITE RVERS TO VISIT AND STAY OVERNIGHT FOR FREE!

Just curious if anyone has and how is it working out ?

You have to join to actually see the locations , they advertise as having 600 locations ?
20 REPLIES 20

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
HH members recently received an e-mail from the organization with the following news:

"Harvest Hosts has purchased RV Golf Club and added 329 gorgeous golf courses from all over the US and Canada to HarvesHosts.com as part of a new Harvest Hosts + Golf plan!"

{snip}

-Speak

To be fair, I do not consider the stuff you snipped to have been advertising, wanted or a for-sale offer. As I stated, it was a win-win. No cash exchanged. No particular benefit to me - any more so than to anyone who may have been interested.

-Speak

MOD'S EDIT: NO ADVERTISING, WANTED, OR FOR SALE OFFERS ON RV.NET.
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:

"Harvest Hosts has purchased RV Golf Club "

If you look at the reviews of RV Golf Club, you'll find most of the courses listed have never heard of this organization, let alone allow RVs to park at their facilities (nor are most golf course parking lots suitable for RV boondocking).

Harvest Hosts sold last summer to a new owner, whose goal is to increase membership from the current 8700 to over 30,000 in the next year, with a maybe 10% increase in new host locations. Most of those hosts are one night stay only, boondocking only, and not on major travel routes. You must call ahead as well.

Understand what the membership is and whether it is suitable for the way you like to travel.
2017 LTV Unity

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
HH members recently received an e-mail from the organization with the following news:

"Harvest Hosts has purchased RV Golf Club and added 329 gorgeous golf courses from all over the US and Canada to HarvesHosts.com as part of a new Harvest Hosts + Golf plan!"

{snip}

-Speak

MOD'S EDIT: NO ADVERTISING, WANTED, OR FOR SALE OFFERS ON RV.NET.
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an ad for Harvest Hosts last night and did a little reading about it. Looks cool. I see they have new owners, and that the price will be going from $50 to $80 in January. I'm thinking of taking a flyer on it before the price increase, can't go too wrong here I guess.

Seems like a cool way to find different things to see along the way.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

dedmiston
Bumping this thread to the top of the page to help the member with similar questions since I just closed his thread.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds great. A way to avoid the typical grumpy RV Park experience once in awhile.

But it is clear that it has nothing to do with "Boondocking" And as for buying something. You are getting a place to stay for free...how ungenerous to go away without a jar of honey or a bottle of wine. (I bet when you stay in a Walmart you buy something while there)

And yes it is a way to expand their business and offer something of value. I see nothing amiss with that.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Not misleading but I would like more info before going.

What sort of information would you like? I'd be glad to try to provide it. But try to understand that knowledge of the specific locations is proprietary information. If everyone knew all the locations, without having to join, then the integrity of the organization would disappear, and you might as well just dissolve the organization.

-Speak

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
We are members and stay an over night or 2 on every trip. I found that HH requires LESS planning than a private RV park. I've even called the day before to get a spot.

Just a warning: If you're expecting that staying at a host that is a winery will save you money, then don't join 🙂

:B:B:B

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at the map on the site, I recognize some of the locations since they indicate if they are a winery, farm or other type locations and I know there is a winery (or whatever there). I will probably join once I retire and am able to take longer trips. Good way to plan a drive..especially since I don't like to drive more than about 4 hours in a day.. and something to get out and do at stopping point without having to unhook and spend time looking for an outing.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not misleading but I would like more info before going.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies

The map they show on their site shows they are everywhere (well one in Nevada).
But you have to join just to see their locations.
So is the map they show on their site misleading or ?

We're planning another trip to the East Coast for next year and depending where they are located could stay a few nights at some along the way.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We are members and stay an over night or 2 on every trip. I found that HH requires LESS planning than a private RV park. I've even called the day before to get a spot.

Just a warning: If you're expecting that staying at a host that is a winery will save you money, then don't join 🙂
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn’t state it firmly enough. We try to be gone all summer. No hurry.
We hardly ever do single nights. Hardly ever. And we are not alone.

I wouldn’t consider it on that basis alone.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been members for three or four years now. I found out about it before I even owned a TT, and was looking forward to joining as soon as we had an appropriate "self-contained" rig (a requirement for joining.)

We use it often, probably about 6 to 10 nights per year. We love it. We love that we get to see things that we wouldn't otherwise take the time to see. Usually the HH locations are a little off our route, if you just looked at origin-to-destination route-planning. But we've enjoyed getting off the highways a bit. The locations are almost always beautiful and "different." We've enjoyed meeting the people who own and operate the farms and wineries, when we've been able to meet them. When the owners aren't available, the staff is usually very friendly, but it's not as much fun for us as meeting the owners. After the facilities close in the evening it is usually very quiet and peaceful. However, farm life starts early in the morning, and you have to be prepared to hear farm equipment as soon as the sun comes up. Sometimes even earlier.

As far as the purchase is concerned, we tend to spend $20 to $30, which certainly doesn't equate to "free" camping. However, we get the night of camping PLUS whatever we spent the money on. Pretty good deal, as far as I'm concerned.

One of the rules is that you only spend ONE night at a location, unless the owner invites you to stay longer. That one-night rule is the only part I don't like. It means the normal use of HH is when you're on the road and you have an overnight (or overnights in different locations) along the way. It's not a great program for a camping destination.

As you can tell from what I'm saying, this isn't just boondocking. If you're just looking for boondocking, HH probably isn't for you.

-Speak