cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire question what would you recommend

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new 2018 f150 cc eco. it came with goodyear wrangler tires, p rated .

My current 2013 f150 has Michelin defender e rated tires that I had installed. They have 25300 miles on them. They have been great tires for towing and show very little wear. Been rotated properly and wearing even.

I am thinking about having my tire shop switch the tires, putting the new tires on the f150 I am selling and e rated tires on the new truck.

Question is does this make sense? Does to me.
18 REPLIES 18

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I think you made a good choice, good tires you know work well are that are partially worn are much better than brand new tires that you might not like or are less capable.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
LT tires have a stronger bead design, a stronger casing, and different rubber compounds. Itโ€™s not just about the pressure.

They have all that to be able to handle the pressure. The pressure and amount of area that it pushes on is what holds the load. There's a lot to it because of temperature control and wear but how much area of the tire is on the ground times how much air pressure you have in the tire is how much the tire will hold off the ground.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
LT tires have a stronger bead design, a stronger casing, and different rubber compounds. Itโ€™s not just about the pressure.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know why people keep saying "stiffer sidewalls ". The higher ply tires hold more air pressure and that is what makes the sidewall stiffer and handle better. If you aired the passenger tire up to 80psi it would handle the load just as good. They are just not built to handle the pressures. I have installed performance tires with stiffer sidewalls than a 10 ply Michelin.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the comments folks. I made the switch. I know the OE tires would do the job, just think the LT tires will do it better. Thanks for helping

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
The OEM P-rated tires are rated for AT LEAST every pound that the truck is rated to handle. They should be fine for anything you need the truck to do.

The heavier duty tires, while over kill for anything the truck can haul / carry, Will in truth make it tow better. The stiffer side walls help to stabilize the trailer.
Towing is different than hauling in that the trailer weight means little to the tires. They aren't carrying that weight anyway, but do need to control it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The OEM P-rated tires are rated for AT LEAST every pound that the truck is rated to handle. They should be fine for anything you need the truck to do.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would swap them. I had Michelin LTX MS/2 on our Suburban for 60k miles. Just got the Defender LTX last month and have another 2k miles on them. Snow/Rain performance should be just as good as the M2/S which was excellent. They are quiet and relatively soft riding for an LT/E tire. If Michelin could only made the sidewall look tougher.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
We just bought a new 2018 f150 cc eco. it came with goodyear wrangler tires, p rated .

My current 2013 f150 has Michelin defender e rated tires that I had installed. They have 25300 miles on them. They have been great tires for towing and show very little wear. Been rotated properly and wearing even.

I am thinking about having my tire shop switch the tires, putting the new tires on the f150 I am selling and e rated tires on the new truck.

Question is does this make sense? Does to me.

X-2

That what I did with a Tundra I towed with. The vehicle handled much better.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
thanks folks, forgot to say the tire sizes are exactly the same

Like the rims on your old truck? Just swap out the tires, and rims. No need to pay to get them broke down and re mounted. Just pull one beside the other, and swap them.
Unless of course, you like the new rims better. Then have them changed out.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In general E tires last way longer than P tires so if they are still good tread, no reason not to keep them. Plus then you can sell your old truck with "new tires". Wil help sell it a bit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
thanks folks, forgot to say the tire sizes are exactly the same

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:

This is exactly what I would do if, and that is a big if, the tires sizes are the same.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
because the lowest class pickup has most folks NOT purchase them as TV's, but as 'cars' and that 'ride quality' is at the top of the have to have list

For those who tow and understand the difference between stiffer sidewalls and the control it provides...they (most who tow heavy) will upgrade from passenger class (P rated) tires to light truck class (LT rated) tires

Or like my recent purchase of a used mid sized crew pickup, the passenger class tires are just fine...even with my very, very aggressive driving style. This pickup is NOT for towing, except for an occasional something from the rental shop. For big stuff...that is what my K3500 Suburban is for

As for the OPs question...ask 10 and get 11 opinion answers...

A very personal thing and gets down to whatever suits your vehicle and driving style

{edit}...Passenger class tires used on pickups has the RMA (rubber manufacturers Association) recommend to DE-RATE the tires load carrying capacity (molded on the sidewall) a min of 9%. The OEMs who put them on half ton's have done that. So owners who replace them with the same size/rating will be within the OEMs ratings

downtheroad wrote:
Can't figure why they even put "P" tires on new full sized pick-ups.
Full sized trucks should have truck tires (LT's) from the get go.

I have had great service from Michelin Defenders. Check Costco.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...