cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bryce to Capitol Reef

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34 ft 5th wheel and would like to plan a side trip from Bryce Canyon National Park to Capitol Reef Nat Park. Is route 12 a good road? Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
That, like Red Mountain Pass and many others...........You do not have control of the guy coming against you and you have two choices - hit them or go over the side. Simple as that.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
If you are accustomed to mountain driving, it is no problem if your set up is good. If you are a flat lander (which we were) it can be quite intimidating. It is not a white knuckle drive but it is intense.
We drove it this summer from Escalante to Torrey. We took it slow and easy and had no problems. It would have been better if we had an exhaust brake on our TV but the Duramax and transmission in manual mode did the job. As noted the scenery was beautiful. Hubby didn't enjoy as much of the scenery as he was concentrating on driving.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Rt. 12 is the highlight of yanking my trailer around the country 25K miles.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We took these pictures while crossing the hogsback back in 2009. Everyone drives slowly through this section. Just keep the tires on the pavement and enjoy the view.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmโ€ฆ I stand corrected, if so. I just looked at the percentages from the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' and the highest grade given was 12%.

There are YouTubes by drivers if you want to drive the route.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
it all depends on two important things...
can your tow vehicle handle the climbs and the downgrades?
and
the hogback...
can you handle a two lane road, NO shoulders, for about two blocks long? can your travel partner handle looking out the window on the passenger side and seeing the road fall away for a long ways down?

when we did it, we did it with just our jeep and I, the passenger, had to close my eyes.
some can handle it, others can't. only you know about yourself. ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

dedmiston
I'm surprised to see so many positive responses. Questions come up about this route every couple of months or so and there are usually a lot of people who say "no way", "never", "nightmare", etc.

I only drove it once (out and back) in our dually (the 44' 5er was parked back at the KOA in Cannonville. I wasn't really a fan. The views were gorgeous, but the road was narrow with no guard rails. One false move and that scenic view will make an even more lasting impact.

The twisty canyon leading up to the Hogback from the south is incredible though. It's straight out of a Road Runner cartoon.

Check it out on YouTube and Google Earth and decide for yourself.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
One of our favorite drives in the entire country. No problem for us driving. Recommend it highly.

X2! We have traveled in all 50 states (48 by motorhome) and Hwy 12 in Utah from Bryce to Capitol Reef is one of our favorites. Don't miss it!
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
One of our favorite drives in the entire country. No problem for us driving. Recommend it highly.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
The steeper sections are only 1-2 miles long except south of Torrey which is longer but ONLY a short section of 12%, not 14%. ๐Ÿ™‚
Are you talking about the Hogback section south of Boulder and north of the Calf Creek Falls parking area? The sign at the top of the grade says 14% for four miles!

Yes. Thank you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
The steeper sections are only 1-2 miles long except south of Torrey which is longer but ONLY a short section of 12%, not 14%. ๐Ÿ™‚
Are you talking about the Hogback section south of Boulder and north of the Calf Creek Falls parking area? The sign at the top of the grade says 14% for four miles!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

It's very doable with an RV and it's very popular to do. It's an absolutely gorgeous drive. We've done it both directions many times with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. Stop for a night or two in Escalante, disconnect and drive the truck around to do some siteseeing. It's a typical paved two-lane road. What freaks some folks out is lack of shoulders in some places. But there are various pull-offs. If you can keep it between the lines you're good to go! Have a great trip. Beautiful country.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It's a beautiful road. As long as you have a TV matched to your FW, you can do it. From Bryce to Capitol Reef, there is a 14% climb to the Hogsback. Our setup can do it no problem.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
A great road. One of our favorites while we still had our fifth wheel.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse