cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just Installed Windows 10 Pro

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Liking to experiment with my Pc's I installed W10 Pro on my W10 Home Toshiba laptop. There was nothing wrong with the Home version, but I went ahead anyway. I was particularly interested in the Hyper-V program found in Pro, which allows you to operate another operating system in a virtual machine, side by side with the installed OS. So far, it's been a challenge setting it up, but I'm trying to follow instructions on the Web. Hopefully, I'll get it done. I'd enjoy trying the various OS's available. I'm leaving my HP laptop on W10 Home for the time being. and experiment with my Toshiba.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
16 REPLIES 16

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
Mac has been running windows in virtual for over 10 years. Yeah, Windows the โ€œinnovatorโ€ :B

The only need to run "virtual machines" on any OS is to make up for a major flaw in the design of the OS !

In Windows Server's case, it is the Registery. The Registry was "invented" as a repository for application setup "data" that the end user could not easily screw up. But it was invented in the context of Windows being a SINGLE USER computing environment. This does not work when you want to run multiple client/server (database) apps that serve totally different clients.

This problem was solved over 30 years ago, but there was no way around the Registry that would turn Windows into a true multi-user OS.

For that matter, a large percentage of "database" applications could be easily implement with index sequential access (ISAM) files. That technology is probably 50 years old, but "not invented by Microsoft" or anyone in the UN*X/Linux crowd so now it is lost technology. SIGH ! BTDTGTT !!!

:R

I think you are quite mixed up.

"Registry" has nothing to do with "application setup" nor does it have anything to do with "single user" use.

Think of the Registry being like a shopping list for the OPERATING SYSTEM to go through on boot up. It is nothing more than a list of information on what to load, where to find it and all the parameters to use.

The main reason for VMs is to allow multiple "Guest" operating systems to be setup on ONE SINGLE PC.

A VM (Virtual Machine), is in a nutshell a SIMULATED "PC" HARDWARE environment. This environment simulates a processor, memory, video cards, NIC cards, USB ports, hard drives, ect.

The advantages of a VM is all of this is contained in ONE SINGLE VM FILE on the HOST PC. So, in essence, you can create a VM, back it up by copying the VM file, restore that file if something goes sideways and be backup and running within minutes..

In addition, you CAN on the right Host hardware, DUPLICATE hundreds of VMs on ONE HOST PC provided you have licensing for that.

In business using VMs can REDUCE a server farm from thousands of "servers" down to a few servers with HUNDREDS of VMs.. Administration of the network now gets simpler and backup and restores get simpler and not to mention considerably less server space, less power used and less cost to operate and maintain.

VMs were never intended for the "Home user".

And yes, the OPs PC is very light on memory which is critical for hosting a VM.

Your Host PC hardware must have enough memory for the "Host" OS and then extra memory for each "Guest" OS (each VM).

It has been a while since I setup VMs but here is what I learned many years ago.

There are minimum memory requirements for the Host and Guest, OP might be able to skirt that a bit by specifying the absolute MIN memory when setting up the GUEST VM which at one time was about 2 GB of Ram on the Guest.. 2 GB of ram in the GUEST VM may not be enough for a 32 or 64 bit Win10 Guest but should be enough for something like 32 bit XP or Win7.

But in doing so, that will only leave 4 gig for the HOST when the GUEST VM is running.

When setting up a VM, you must also specify a "drive size", this will create the VM file to that size. If you have a 500 gb drive on your HOST you do not want to specify 500 GB, not enough space to do that.. In other words the GUEST VM can only read and write within the VM file so you will need to specify a drive space much smaller than the physical HD you have to work with..

Once setup, then you will have to create Virtual connections like Network and USB.. between the HOST AND GUEST.

There is less demanding GUEST VMs, a lot of gamers that like the old school DOS games often rely on VMs like DOSBOX to play their old games..

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use virtual box from Oracle to run other operating systems under (or is it over?) Windows. Doesn't need the Pro version.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, AllegroD. I'm still trying to figure all this out. I even considered buying an inexpensive PC to experiment with if I can never get a VM to work.

PS: I tried adding 64 GB virtual memory, but still get message, "not enough memory". At this point, I give up on virtual machines.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I am more familiar with VMWare products. They use the actual RAM installed to provide RAM to the VM. This is different than using a thumbdrive to increase RAM.

If you have 6 GB of installed RAM on your host and allocate 5 GB to a single VM. The host will only have 1 GB left for it's use.

Hyper-V functions quite similar. It has a dynamic memory setting. Until you understand it's affects, I would turn that off. Dynamic memory allocation can help you to automatically balance memory usage between multiple VM and host but, if you are using a memory hog app, it may cause problems with that VM or another, when fired up.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying virtual RAM on a thumb drive. Still playing with it.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Virtual RAM uses hard drive space as RAM, like Windows swap file. It'll work (maybe) but it's slow....
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
It appears the lack of memory may be in my laptop. Its RAM is only 6 GB and I see, by searching online, the recommended size is 16 GB. I guess that finishes my experimentation with virtual machines.
live and learn.

I'm now exploring possible ways to add virtual RAM. All this is very new to me.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
mr. ed wrote:
I kept getting messages that there wasn't enough memory. My Toshiba has 6 GB ram. I'm not going to add any more.

Where did you receive the error> Host machine or in HyperV? Did you check the settings for the memory allocated to the VM?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Please post information on how you set the virtual machine. I checked all of the requirements for a virtual machine and it's a go but I haven't actually tried the process.

Hi, Bob. You can find instructions on the Internet, but don't expect it to be an easy task following them. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but it's still a difficult task trying to set up the virtual machine, even with instructions . I try to avoid the video tutorials but find written ones easier to understand and can be printed out if desired.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I ONLY run the pro version of Windows and always have since I started using NT4 Workstation. Much more secure and customizable than their "home" flavours.
Win10 Pro allows you to put off updates for a while as well. Like that feature.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
Mac has been running windows in virtual for over 10 years. Yeah, Windows the โ€œinnovatorโ€ :B

The only need to run "virtual machines" on any OS is to make up for a major flaw in the design of the OS !

In Windows Server's case, it is the Registery. The Registry was "invented" as a repository for application setup "data" that the end user could not easily screw up. But it was invented in the context of Windows being a SINGLE USER computing environment. This does not work when you want to run multiple client/server (database) apps that serve totally different clients.

This problem was solved over 30 years ago, but there was no way around the Registry that would turn Windows into a true multi-user OS.

For that matter, a large percentage of "database" applications could be easily implement with index sequential access (ISAM) files. That technology is probably 50 years old, but "not invented by Microsoft" or anyone in the UN*X/Linux crowd so now it is lost technology. SIGH ! BTDTGTT !!!

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
RVing since 1995.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Fwiw, I've been running Windows as a virtual machine since 2000, running Win98. Nice to be able to clone and backup very quickly.
I no longer need Windows for anything, so my Windows 7 install will likely be the last- haven't booted it up in months.
-- Chris Bryant

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I've played around quite a bit but still having difficulty with the Hyper-V virtual machine. I kept getting messages that there wasn't enough memory. My Toshiba has 6 GB ram. I'm not going to add any more. So I downloaded VirtualBox and will play with that for a while (I have VirtualBox on my HP laptop, but have never gotten it to work).

In retrospect, I should have saved the money I spent on W10 Pro since I was already pleased with the Home version. That's what I get for experimenting!