cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2009 newmar bay star vs a 2016 thor

Rayinxs
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking into purchasing a 2009 newmar bay star but another dealer has showed me a 2016 Thor same length. The cost seems to be similar of course the newer model Thor costs a bit more but I’m being told that the 2009 newmar bay star is a much better coach regardless of the age difference. Do you all agree with this? The offer is the 2009 bay star priced at 49,000.00. What do you think?
50 REPLIES 50

mfredm
Explorer
Explorer
my 30 foot baystar turns on a dime and drives like a big SUV. funny thing is cause the ground clearance is so high the levelers are really visible and at alot of campground hosts yell at me on leaving that it not retracted all the way..

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Like comparing a Lincoln to a Yugo.
Comparing a Thor to a Yugo is totally insulting to Yugo.

Now, that's pretty bad and should insult the Thor owners, as well!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
the Newmar is much higher quality t-shirts
more likely to last longer and for you to be happier
than with the Thor

az99
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Like comparing a Lincoln to a Yugo.
Comparing a Thor to a Yugo is totally insulting to Yugo.

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the Newmar line, especially the Bay Star Sport and Bay Star. Only thing that concerns me is their short wheelbase ratio compared to Four Wind Class Cs and maybe some other "lower level" brands.

Is wheelbase ratio THAT important or am I over thinking this thing???

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I like to keep busy tinker with and fix things I would go with the Thor :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

MrWizard
the Newmar is much higher quality
more likely to last longer and for you to be happier
than with the Thor
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Class A seats spin around nicely too. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Real life experiences with a Thor motorhome: we've enjoyed our 2012 Four Winds 24C for six seasons; we've had it in the dealership for a cabover leak repair, needing a new fridge (under warranty IIRC) and a new Rhino roof. We've fixed a lot of things ourself, just like we do on our S&B house.

Would I buy another Thor? I don't know at this point. The one we have has served us well and what issues we've had seem to be common to all Class C across the board. We bought this one brand new, but the next one we'll most likely buy used. We also know a lot more about RVs so we'll be pickier and not rely on luck LOL. One thing we'll be definitely looking for is a thorough record on any work done on the unit: repairs, oil changes, tire maintenance, times in the shop with what for, etc. We keep detailed records on our unit and will be looking for that on another one someday.

I'm glad the OP got the MH he wanted and hope he has many years of enjoyment with it. Meanwhile, I'm burning up my brain and my computer with more research on motorhomes to keep in mind for our future. And planning for our trip out to Washington State (via the Alamo, Grand Canyon...you name it LOL).

ETA: We're thinking Class A btw, but may stick with Class C; more space and can swivel those front seats around. But a short Class A and a gasser.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Darn shame that Thor has left such a bad taste in most everyone's mouth, although, they must know what they're doing. They have been buying up a lot of companies with quality RV's, like Jayco for 576M in cash, who in turn owns Entegra and others, that make high end products.
Best thing for Thor Industries to do now, is for keeping the Thor name off of anything that they have and just like the rest of their subsidiaries.
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Entegra buyers, weren't aware of who the parent company was. Only problem with their Cornerstone model, is for being able to afford one and even though, newness is not my cup of tea.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
Good choice, but a point of clarification, the Star part on that one has nothing to do with the chassis, that's only on their newer diesels. Newmar has used "Star" in their names for as ling as I can remember.

In any case, good choice and enjoy! You picked a good one.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations and enjoy!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Rayinxs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all I bought the Newmar the wood work and “star” part of the name refers to the chassis. Which make this coach superior to a newer model anything in my price range atleast... lol. Thank you all for helping me feel good about my choice.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
The fact that a 10 year old Newmar is the same price as a 2 year old Thor should have told you everything you needed to know.

That was my exact thought....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG