Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 100% Silicone vs Dicor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 100% Silicone vs Dicor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tested using no sealant around the outside, only applying the bytle tape between the mating or mounting surfaces. However, I go to the professional heating and air conditioning supply house to get the stickiest stuff on the planet. It has not leaked yet. When it oozes out thats a good sign, meaning its properly applied. only need a plastic scraper and a rag to clean it, not a mountain of elbow grease'

joeshmoe

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I have tested using no sealant around the outside, only applying the bytle tape between the mating or mounting surfaces. However, I go to the professional heating and air conditioning supply house to get the stickiest stuff on the planet. It has not leaked yet. When it oozes out thats a good sign, meaning its properly applied. only need a plastic scraper and a rag to clean it, not a mountain of elbow grease'

Can you name this most "stickiest" stuff so readers can look into it for themselves? And do you use it on the roof, too or just the sides/mouldings?

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joeshmoe wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

Can you name this most "stickiest" stuff so readers can look into it for themselves? And do you use it on the roof, too or just the sides/mouldings?

I use it on the sides only. My new water fill door was put on about 5 yrs ago and so far so good w/o perimeter caulking. It sits out all winter in the PNW.

The sticky stuff I get at Johnson Air Products in Portland, Oregon. Stocked up front so the Heating and Air contractors can remember to grab it when needed, it is wider and stickier than the standard hardware store grade.

theczar

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like everyone has their opinion on what is best to use. I will keep my eye on this thread to see if something clearly is the winner.

While I am doing that, I need to reseal the horizontal seam at the bottom of a slide. It has Proflex on it now. What is the best way to remove it and prep for resealing? Scrape it (I am thinking a plastic scraper), some sort of removing compounnd?, something else?

I am assuming that all the prior material needs to be removed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The clear winner for sealing roofs is Dicor, end of story.

Bob

theczar

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

The clear winner for sealing roofs is Dicor, end of story.

I Agree, but my question does not pertain to roofs. I am looking to reseal a horizontal seam on a slide.

Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 100% Silicone vs Dicor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.