cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart RV parking app

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of a Walmart RV parking app? A way to locate a Walmart near you while you are traveling that allows RV parking?

Thank you, Barney
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net
54 REPLIES 54

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love wallydocking. I think we should all make a community based update map on google. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
I find Allstays to be the perfect app for finding Walmarts. I can filter for just Walmarts and see all of them in the area. When I click on them, I'll get additional information about which ones allow overnight parking, phone numbers, etc.

When in doubt where your nearest Walmart Supercedes are to you? Open Google on your Smartphone, type in; "Walmarts near me" push ENTER, and you're in business.

I always at Walmarts when on-the-road. They're my friends and never charge me for staying, no matter how many nights and days I stay.

I never want to overstay my welcome so, 1 month is my limit.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Wire Man wrote:
Anyone know of a Walmart RV parking app? A way to locate a Walmart near you while you are traveling that allows RV parking?

Thank you, Barney

I have an app called โ€œRV Parkyโ€ if you click on search near me it will show you all the places around you that you can park your RV for the night. It includes Walmart.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
PaulJ2 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
The Walmart parking lot is not a campground.

I'll just never understand all the $$$ spent for an RV to camp at Walmart?? And in a class A forum?? 200K for my class A to camp at Wally World, must of spent all my $$ on the Class A and can't afford a campsite.

Oh the humanity.:S

Walmart has never been a free camp for me. We spend more money in the store in the morning than a campground would cost.
I think Walmart has figured this out!
They have but you haven't
So big a world, so little time to see.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
The Walmart parking lot is not a campground.

I'll just never understand all the $$$ spent for an RV to camp at Walmart?? And in a class A forum?? 200K for my class A to camp at Wally World, must of spent all my $$ on the Class A and can't afford a campsite.

Oh the humanity.:S

Walmart has never been a free camp for me. We spend more money in the store in the morning than a campground would cost.
I think Walmart has figured this out!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
I find Allstays to be the perfect app for finding Walmarts. I can filter for just Walmarts and see all of them in the area. When I click on them, I'll get additional information about which ones allow overnight parking, phone numbers, etc.

When in doubt where your nearest Walmart Supercedes are to you? Open Google on your Smartphone, type in; "Walmarts near me" push ENTER, and you're in business.

I always at Walmarts when on-the-road. They're my friends and never charge me for staying, no matter how many nights and days I stay.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
We use RV Parky too. Then call ahead to the Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc to verify. Very helpful when travelling more than a day for a quick rest.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Wire Man wrote:
All of this for just asking if there is a Walmart parking app? smh
Thanks for the replies to the question ??

For what it's worth, you may have stumbled on a unfulfilled need looking for a solution. I wonder what type of supporting income an app like that would bring it's developer?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
All of this for just asking if there is a Walmart parking app? smh
Thanks for the replies to the question ??
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Just too much.

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use a road atlas with a Walmart list in the back. Now, I just do a GPS search for Walmart... Along route... a few hours before I plan to stop for the night. Google Maps on the cell phone will also find all Walmarts in the area. I go this route because I make every effort to minimize apps on the phone.
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
We use the Walmart Locator guide available at .....Walmart. When we plan a trip with an overnighter or two on the way to our destination, we call ahead to ensure they allow overnighters.
We went for the summer a few years back, we stayed in 67 differant RV Parks and paid each time. I so happy there are parks, and I to thank them for having to put up with all the problems with city permites and install all that pumbing, ele. roadways, lighting, bath rooms etc. The wall marters of the world can eat cake, and try to move around fast to miss the lead shells flying in the air.
So big a world, so little time to see.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
To those that do not approve of overnight parking at other than a designed campground (or often cramp grounds), I have this comparison to offer.

Do you often spend money on a meal to leave it on the counter?

If we are traveling in a self-contained unit, and we want a quiet, more or less level place to stop for the night, should we have to pay for a pool, a weight room, a kids play yard or a bathhouse? I don't think I need to do that.

The places we choose to ONP are convenient to out planned route. As we don't need to get to an office, our arrival time is never an issue as is also not our departure time. Some states still have rest areas along the highway, most are pretty. Tennessee or Kentucky (I would have to go back to trip reports) has plowed a bunch of their rest
areas in. We now drive right through there too. That is unless we find a good flat place off the highway.

Back in our days when the vehicle was not self contained we bought nights at a campgrounds that fixed out current attitude. One time we got off the highway and drove 6 miles through the hinterland to pay for a place that was so tight we had to be careful opening the car's doors. We hadn't heard of slides. We were also back next to the highway we had left, but long side a grade where the trucks were either powering up the slope or Jake-braking down the other way - All Night Long. And, this place was not cheap. Our dog really did not appreciate the play yard or pool either.

Now, we stop where we like. If it is a business that we can patronize, then we usually do. We used to like the Cabela's in Hammond (IN). DW like to shop for interesting bargains when we did. Then the local law enforcement chased us out one evening. We haven't spent any money there since.

Some years back, a lady in the state of Maine was pushing a law that made over night parking of RVs outside of campgrounds a violation. That was the year I had planned to take the coach east. I cancelled a grand tour but we went and visited family and friends. We flew in and borrowed (you didn't want to rent a car in Rhode Island) a car and stayed with family and left behind almost no money. We spent that money in other states. The law got changed. Move championed by the lady that started the first law, but the plan has not been revived.

There are lots of ways to find free ONP. We tend to use all the sources listed. With demise of the good underway navigators of Streets & Trips and Street Atlas, it takes a lot more doing now, but we still manage.

Matt
You sure are hateful towards an entire industry that does nothing but provide services to RVers. Over the years we have provided service to hundreds of thousands of guests. Many of those guests return time and time again. Seldom do complaints arise and those that do are most often of a very minor nature.
But like most things, you tend to get what you pay for. If you always seek out the lowest cost provider, you are likely to get the lowest level of service.
If staying in parking lots fills your needs, no problem. But constantly berating those people who don't want spend their nights in the midst of Walmart shoppers as well as always slamming Private RV Parks that provide services the vast majority of RVers seek just reeks of someone angry at the world. In your brief post you apparently hate RV Parks, Cabelas, the police, truckers, the states of Tennessee, Kentucky, Maine and Rhode Island. You are upset that two publications went out of business. Perhaps the problem isn't all those entities but rather the image you see in the mirror.

I think he's just calling it, the way he sees it. Not knocking park owners in general, but you must understand, it's like any other business and with no guarantee that you'll do well, with many preferring other types of service. Many times with an overnight stay at a Walmart, we've spent upwards of $200, by the time we fueled up and resupplied. I mean they do have an excellent camp store and if you like restaurants, there's usually one in the same strip.
As for RI campgrounds, don't even get me started....
Being that you're Montana, let me say that I love this state for travel, but again, you do what you gotta do, every once in a while. For instance, we stop in Billings and call the KOA. Are you kidding me with those prices and because they were the first KOA, if that might have been the reason? Anyway off to Walmart it was and with arriving at a scene, I'll never forget. Even took some pictures. I mean there were RV's of every description in there and security with his amber bubble top a flashing, was helping them to park....lol Never seen anything like it, in any of the lower 48!
On an opposite note, we found some campgrounds along Flathead Lake that were great and reasonably priced. Inside Glacier NP, the amenities were sparse and the rules were strict, but can well understand that, so no complaints and well worth the beauty of that place, which is on my list of favorites. Beside, there's an abundance of full service CG's outside the park, if that might suit one better. We didn't have a toad then and liked being near the bus stops and bicycle paths. Point is and again, the mom and pop and private owners missed out
All in all, I haven't seen that many RV parks fail and closed up, like so many restaurants and other businesses. Many in the first year, at that, so really don't think that it's all that bad for attracting travelers, if it's nice and reasonably priced.
Actually on average, I don't see all that many RVeer's in a Walmart. Billings MT being an exception of course. As for these type threads and people becoming hostile with another's choice, I've found it's the anti-Walmart people, that are most guilty and they can't all be park owners.
The difference between your post and the one I commented on is you are not openly hostile to every situation that didn't meet your wants and desires. You found the RV parks in Billings too expensive, so you made a choice to stay elsewhere. No Problem. But it didn't upset you to the point you crossed Montana off the list of states you would ever spend a penny in.
At Glacier Park you chose to stay in the park and accept the restrictions placed upon you. You didn't rant and rave that they wouldn't allow you to do whatever you want to do. You also noted that there were an abundance of private parks, but they didn't offer the access you needed because you didn't have a towed. However you didn't chastise them for somehow not providing that access like it was their fault there isn't direct trail access, bikeways and sidewalks connecting those parks to the various town and park amenities.
I do have one minor disagreement with you. What you spend at Walmart, in my way of thinking, doesn't mean you weren't trying to be thrifty and that it somehow proves you weren't making a budget decision. People stay at Walmart primarily for one of three reasons, to either not disturb others by arriving late and/or leaving early at a Park, The unavailability of alternative options, or mostly, to save money.
When you chose to not stay at a Billings RV park due to price and chose Walmart instead, it was a financial decision. If you spent $200 or even $2000 at the Walmart, the reason you stayed there didn't change. And that money you did spend would almost assuredly been money you would have spent anyway. I seriously doubt you spent $200 on things you did not want, didn't need and wouldn't use just because you wanted to feel good staying there. You would have spent that $200, probably at a Walmart, anyway because it was spent on items you would have to purchase regardless of where you stayed. Using that $200 purchase as evidence you somehow weren't making a financial decision is making a disingenuous statement.

I have to agree, that you're pretty much right about what you're saying. As for Wally World, there's been times that after coming out of the store, we just chose to sleep over, rather than go find a park that will suit us and setup.
As for saving money, it's one of my favorite MPG answers to those who worry about fuel mileage and staying at a WM now and then, puts fuel in your tank. In essence, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)