cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New floor in slideout

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
A while back I posted about my main slide out skipping and squealing as it came in and out. The resistance actually pulled one of the cable brackets loose from the slide out. Initial inspection showed apparent water damage and swelling in the slide floor. Estimates at a couple of camper dealerships were in the $3K-$4K range. Ouch. Not happening.

I was finally ready today to pull the old floor I and was surprised at how easy it was. I'm kind of a DIY guy anyway, but I was admittedly apprehensive. Kind of a big job.

I did not remove the slide out from the camper, the repair is happening with the slide out extended, jacked up about an inch, but fully in place.

I was surprised by several things. First, that Keystone uses cheap 3/4" wafer board with no waterproofing at all for the slide floor. Second, that the amount of water damage was far worse than anticipated. Third, that the carpet was laid on the floor before it was attached (so it was under the slide walls), and finally, I was surprised to find that the ONLY thing holding my chubby self in that slide out is screws up through the the floor into the slide frame.

The new floor is 1" thick plywood (I was able to special order a 10' long sheet of 3/4" so it's not spliced), with 1/4" plywood glued and nailed on top, then 2 coats of waterproof paint on both sides and all edges. I'll apply the new darco tomorrow and reattach the carpet (I guess) just the way it was, then put in the new floor.

So...2 questions. I bought a heavy duty spray adhesive to attach the darco. Is this going to work or should I spread a thin layer of construction adhesive or something? The old darco was REALLY stuck to the old floor. I don't know what they use but it's good stuff.

My other question is whether I should run the carpet under the walls like it was from the factory, or should I install with tack strips like in a house?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021
5 REPLIES 5

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Also, for anyone wondering, the spray adhesive worked great!
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
Sounds like exactly the same problem I had with my 2014 Fuzion. Just traded it for a 2018. Main slide floor seems to be a lot better and not 'flexible' from the beginning.

My new floor is now installed and I am extremely confident that itโ€™s better than when it left the factory. I have heard that other Fuzion owners have had the same issue.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like exactly the same problem I had with my 2014 Fuzion. Just traded it for a 2018. Main slide floor seems to be a lot better and not 'flexible' from the beginning.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Any opinions on darco adhesive?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
HA! You have finally a dirty little secret in the RV industry. They are built from the floor up.
NO! Do not bother trying to fit it under the walls. Just run it up to the walls just like you would do at home.