cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sway bars

floor_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38 ft tt and have the equalizer sway bars, i have never greased them but they are rather squeaky so do i just grease the ends? what method makes the least mess and what method of storage when not in use as I wouldn't want a messy blob in my storage compartment
9 REPLIES 9

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using an Equalizer hitch for about 14 years now. When I got the first one, Progressive said it was fine to lightly grease the L brackets along with the pivot head. They did not have the plastic sleeves yet. I have done this since then and my hitch is quiet and I have yet to experience any sway at all.

That said, I avoid adding grease to the L brackets unless I hear some noise. Even then I only add it to the head and that usually quiets things down. If it doesn't, I will put a very small amount on the L brackets. Usually have to do this only once a year. The head gets greased about 3 or 4 times a season.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I have to use a dab of grease at the L brackets. DW doesn't tolerate the music well. It still holds the rig steady. However, we don't have a sway problem even with no sway control.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we don't know if the OP owns an Equal-i-zer and is calling the weight bars, "sway bars" or they are using word equalizer for a regular WDH with friction anti-sway bars.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
The bars do not get greased. The head unit gets greased at the pivot point. I found that my Equal-izer was quieter when I got the L brackets adjusted so that the bars were rubbing evenly across the surface.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Agree on getting the little pads that fit on the L-brackets for the Equal-i-zer system. It quieted mine down a lot. And, I NEVER greased or oiled the bars where they touch that L-bracket on the trailer tongue. The system needs that friction to work effectively. The pads will stop a lot of noise.

X2 Had the pads on my Equalizer for the 5 years we had our Winnebago Minnie.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on getting the little pads that fit on the L-brackets for the Equal-i-zer system. It quieted mine down a lot. And, I NEVER greased or oiled the bars where they touch that L-bracket on the trailer tongue. The system needs that friction to work effectively. The pads will stop a lot of noise.

Now that I have a 5er, my Equal-i-zer is just sitting in the garage staring at me every time I walk in looking at me real sad, as if saying ... why did you abandon me for that fifth wheel beast! I keep reminding it that he's not going anywhere. He's home now and can just rest a while.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
floor guy wrote:
I have a 38 ft tt and have the equalizer sway bars, i have never greased them but they are rather squeaky so do i just grease the ends? what method makes the least mess and what method of storage when not in use as I wouldn't want a messy blob in my storage compartment

OK, the true Equal-i-zer doesn't have sway bars. either you have a different WDH or you're calling the weight bars, sway bars.
if you have the actual Equal-i-zer, try using their Bracket Jackets to help with noise. check your owner's manual for the correct places to grease. it's ain't the weight bars.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If they are noisy they are doing their job. If it bothers you that much there are pads you can buy to reduce the noise instead of greasing. See here.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Grease the ends that go into the hitch head....not the other ends or you will defeat anti-sway purpose of that style hitch....
Also grease the ball.

Maybe put the greasy ends in a plastic garbage bag for storing..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro