Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Chuck chuck chucking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chuck chuck chucking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/18 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a 18K B&W Patriot hitch and a Trail Aire pinbox. I get more chucking than I like. Trailer is loaded heavy in the front all the normal things to help get rid of chucking. My question is..I have hitch setup so the pin is as far back as the adjustment will allow. This puts the pin about centered over the axle. I can move it ahead 4-5 inches. Will this help to eliminate chucking? Towing with a dually, everything sits nice and level.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/18 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, having the hitch farther forward would help for chucking. If you have room, not getting the truck bumper/tailgate too close to the FW, I'd set hitch for pin to be 3-4 inches ahead of axle center, just to try it. The B&W arms are easy to move, as is removing the hitch head.

Eliminate....maybe not, but should make noticeable difference.

Jerry

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im guessing your hitch head is loose to the pin. What your experiencing is hitch slop.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/18 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adjust the response on the brake controller. The trailer brakes need to come on with the truck brakes not after. Chucking when you brake is due to poor brake controller adjustment. If you are talking about chucking at speed that may be related to your hitch or the road surface. If it is a up and down not a back and forth issue look at the hitch. If it is back and forth then look to the brake adjustment.

Turret Class traveler

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Trail Air is a great pin box for up, and down movement, but the Trail Air Flex, or MorRyde would help more with the chucking.

* This post was edited 11/02/18 06:10pm by garyp4951 *

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/18 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess what you consider chucking to be, I consider it to be fore-aft forces generated by the trailer and transmitted to the truck. A test for this would be to put your head on the head rest while traveling on rough roads and see if it bounces off. When your trailer pushes the pin down it also pushes forward resulting in chucking. Your Trail-Air pin box will dissipate the bouncing (up and down forces) but not the chucking forces due to its rear pivot point design. It could also be said that your pin box exacerbates chucking because the design pushes the pin forward when it compresses.

Usually, trailers that long don't chuck much due to their smaller hitch angle. I doubt moving the head assembly forward will help as the pin box is still securely attached to the frame of the truck via the hitch.

If you translate hitch noise and clunking as chucking then I still doubt adjusting your hitch will help.

I've had severe chucking issues when the brakes were never in play. I can see how a poorly dialed in brake controller will cause problems similar to chucking.

There was a member a couple of months back with similar gear and similar problems. He bought a Trailer Saver hitch and was very happy.

I'm back: That thread was titled 5er Hitch and was dated 8/21. It was in this forum.

* This post was edited 11/02/18 05:53pm by Durb *

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the nature of the 5th wheel to do some chucking. Put the wheels in the middle of the trailer and you have a teeter-totter and chucking.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/18 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe because of slop in the hitch and the trail air pin box allows the truck to pull ahead when the trailer lifts up because of the road conditions and so back and forth it keeps doing the same to have the chucking???

I know this happened to a friend with another brand of hitch.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Charley67

Fulton, MS

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/18 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ve got good equipment. I have the same without problems. Hope you get it figured out.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/18 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree with it is the nature of 5th wheels to chuck.

I have had two 5th wheels and neither had chucking problems but I run 25 percent plus pin weights.

You said you are loaded heavy on the pin. What is your pin weight percentage. It may be less than you think.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chuck chuck chucking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS