cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chuck chuck chucking

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a 18K B&W Patriot hitch and a Trail Aire pinbox. I get more chucking than I like. Trailer is loaded heavy in the front all the normal things to help get rid of chucking. My question is..I have hitch setup so the pin is as far back as the adjustment will allow. This puts the pin about centered over the axle. I can move it ahead 4-5 inches. Will this help to eliminate chucking? Towing with a dually, everything sits nice and level.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
42 REPLIES 42

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
GHop wrote:
I just installed B&W hitch after all of the comments that this was a great hitch. Did I waste my cash? Prior to this hitch I had a Huskey hitch and had none of this.

I don't think so.
We have several top rated lightweight RV type hitches.....your B&W is one of them.
Chucking can show up with any GN/5th wheel hitch on any combo even my tandem and triaxle GN trailers. Having five one ton drw trucks (chevy/Ford with different wheelbases/year models) on the road pulling my different trailers we quickly found which truck trailer combo had no issues and which combo was a real pain in the azz to operate.
I've had some trailers that chucked hard when the deck was loaded heavy.....and others didn't.

There is no one thing we can do that works for all truck/trailer combo's that eliminates all chucking issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GHop wrote:
I just installed B&W hitch after all of the comments that this was a great hitch. Did I waste my cash? Prior to this hitch I had a Huskey hitch and had none of this.

You spent your cash VISELY my Son!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
GHop wrote:
The B&W is the best there is. Also comes from a fine company. Look them up on the internet and learn about how they are made. Any problems I am having with chucking are not because of the quality of the hitch.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
G.H.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Bad overpass sucks for us but the alpenlite just takes it very easy with a big lift and it is over. we are well matched. Old stuff that is working great for us.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
I have never experience chucking. It must be common from the posts.

chevman

You have a good setup along with a heavy RV that has a good pin weight!

Now there are times hitting a big dip or bad overpass that will give you one HE!! of a jerk but that is not possible to correct.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have never experience chucking. It must be common from the posts.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

farmerrob
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same issue with chucking on a trip to Kennedy Space Center. I shifted the hitch forward, increased pin weight and lowered the trailer tire pressure. Took a second trip to Titusville (KSC) about 6 months later, same route, good old I95, quite a difference. I'm going to try and increase the pin weight more, it's at 20% now, maybe a bit will help. Good luck with your rig. The closest CAT scales is only 4 miles away from us so that helps.
2018 chevy 2500 sb dc duramax
2018 cougar 27rks
B&W hitch
Goodyear endurance

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GHop wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" Just that little movement in the hitch makes one heckuva noise."

No slop in a B&W. I had a RBW and it was scary at times!!!

Why do say "It was scary at times"

When you have metal clanking LOUDLY behind you it makes you wonder if something is braking.

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why do say "It was scary at times"
G.H.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no getting rid of of the chucking. RR tracks, road joints, bridge transitions, all have an unpleasant effect to one degree or another as each axle of the truck & trailer pass over them.

Too bad road surface joints & bridge transitions are not at 45 deg angles.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've had chucking since day one. Installed a Morryde and that help some. Pin is 20% and won't be any heavier. Towed with two different trucks. I currently use a B&W and have used an Andersen rail mount. Absolutely no difference in the with between the hitches or trucks in any combination.

I only get chucking on certain types of rougher roads. I get a slight push pull on bridges. 90% of the time it's fine.

Had a TT before and the towing was horrible. Two trucks, several different WDH's and the jerking never left.

I figure there's gotta be some kind of give and take. Even my 5x10 utlity trailer loaded with 4000 lbs of gravel tugs on the truck.

There's no one size fits all remedy. Everyone's towing with a different trailer with a different truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
It's always the same old dance. Get Bilstiens, get air bags, your hitch is noisy, adjust your brake controller, ignore it (that's a new one). Fact is, all fifth wheels have different towing dynamics and some chuck worse than others. Mine didn't chuck over glass smooth roads but in my area those are very few. Having your wife hold her chest while in the passenger seat translates to more than hitch noise. This was my condition with zero hitch noise. Ignoring it wasn't an option. The trailer when it hits a bump rotates due to the dual axles and causes the pin to push down and forward at the same time. Your air pin box is allowing your pin to push down but is doing nothing for the forward motion, chucking.

Shocks will not address the chucking problem. Think about it, your truck is being pushed back and forth by the trailer. Why would a vertical suspension component that is disconnected from the energy path of trailer to truck make any difference? They would make a difference regarding the forces when the truck goes over a bump reaching the cab. Might be the reason why many feel they help with chucking.

Air bags could help with chucking if they were aired to the max plus your pin box bag. This would make a stiff joint to the ground and would reduce the trailers tendency to rotate. If the pin doesn't push down then it isn't pushing forward. This is an impractical scenario as the energy the trailer and truck generates when going over bumps needs to be dissipated elsewhere such as frame flex and tire deflection.

There are solutions, gonna be expensive.